The Hunted

Green waves rippled across the sky with an ear-piercing screech and thunderclap which could be felt in the ground. 

    Kellerman was doing everything he could to block out the temporary sun that his group's only hope of getting of this planet had become. Kellerman looked back to see Kalil leaning over the almost fully assembled communication relay with his head to the ground. Bozeman was sitting on the ground with her head in her hands. Mozkov was looking at Kellerman still with her cool attitude waiting for his next words. Kellerman just looked back to the nightmare unfolding onto the background of unfamiliar stars.

     "Sir, your orders," Mozkov asked, her voice unwavered. "We sit here and wait," Kellerman said as he sat down, running his hands through his hair. Mozkov looked at Bozeman. "Wait for what," she said unnerved. "Survivors, signs of life, maybe some wayward good Samaritans swinging by," he said with a small bit of exasperation showing through. "I'm not sure that's the best course of action, I-" Bozeman began. "Bozeman, question my orders again and you'll pay dearly," Kellerman said, letting his fear control his anger. "Aye, sir," she said as she quickly walked over to Kalil. "How about we get this working soon, eh?" she said, shooting a glance back at Kellerman.
    "Max," Mozkov said as she grabbed Kellerman by the shoulder and pulled him to a further distance from the two others. "As far as we know, we're alone now, you need to gather yourself," she said in a low voice. "And I need you to put faith in my judgement, Kira, when have I not had our best interest in mind?" looking back at his two younger marines. "I'm not saying that, I'm saying maybe you should listen to more input from your crew, you've always done this, and maybe it's time to put an end to it," she said laying her hand on his shoulder.
     Another large explosion interrupted them as a main part of the Ragnus's hull entered the atmosphere and began to break up. The trail of failing debris headed up by the man-made monster glowing with the intensity of a supernova was enough to make all of them sit in silence until it disappeared over the rest of mountains, followed by an earth-shaking quake of thunder, which rattled Max's bones. Pieces of its orbital ring followed with duller thuds quickly behind it. "That was extraordinarily quick," said Kalil, breaking the silence. "I imagine if someone from the research and engineering division was here, they could explain it," came Bozeman, "not that it matters any." Kellerman sat in momentary silence before turning to Bozeman. "What do you think we should do?" he asked shooting a glance at Mozkov as well. Bozeman traded glances with Kalil. "Go ahead, Brigette, he said while nudging her with his elbow. "I think we should abandon this position, sir," she said, standing up straight. "And do what exactly?" he asked shifting his stance and crossing his arms. "To be honest, sir, with this comm is hopeless, besides contacting other survivors," she said as she walked closer to him. "But if we can find a way to get to the comm array on the Ragnus then we can maybe get someone's attention," she said looking back up at the sky which was full of debris. Kellerman looked back at Mozkov, who greeted his gaze with a smirk. Max shook his head, "Okay, Bozeman, I'm in, but keep working with Kalil and try to get local comms online, we need more people." "Aye, sir," she said as she turned about and walked back to Kalil. "I'm impressed," Mozkov said as she joined Max in looking at upon the valley and mountain range. "I can't lie, I am too," he said.  

     The jungle beneath them seemed to be more active than ever with the catastrophe from above raining on it below. "What do you make of this place?" she asked while sitting down on a nearby rock. "I don't think we belong here," Max said while looking down at his boots, "and I don't think this planet wants us here." "Me as well," Kira said, looking back at the rocks that stood over the small basin that made up the top of this peak, "I feel as though too much of it is artificial for me to be comfortable." "I understand what you mean, this place used to be more industrialized, the issue is that nature has claimed it back, there's no way of telling what we're getting into," he said as he sat on the ground beside her. "Maybe so," she said, "but this, whole place, it feels like a veil over something more artificial than I ever encountered." "Well for our sakes, I certainly hope not," he said looking up at her. "Kellerman, Mozkov, we've got something!" he heard Kalil yell. Kellerman shot Mozkov a glance before they both quickly got on their feet and hurried over. "What is it?" Mozkov asked as they neared Bozeman and Kalil. "A repeating message on a local band," Kalil said as redialed in the comm array. Kellerman listened closely as the transmission came in broken and distorted, "This is.....Command.. survi-.......at......crash...." "Can you get it to come in any more clearly, Kalil?" "Trying sir," he said as he started to frantically punch in new commands into the array. Kalil quickly looked around, "I need someone to sacrifice a wrist comm, who's it gonna be?" Bozeman quickly took hers off and practically threw it at him. Kalil quickly removed the back of the wrist piece and hooked the array into it. The static quickly broke as the message began to play again, "This is Lieutenant Commander Lark Calot, all survivors within range rendezvous at the survey crash site with us, remember there's strength in numbers, stay alive, Calot out." Max looked at Mozkov with a smile, "Looks like we've got orders."