Chapter Thirteen - Merry Christmas

It's been a few days since the diner incident and it is now thankfully winter break. Winter break is two weeks this year and even though I'm excited that we don't have class for two weeks, I don't know how I'm going to spend it. It's my first Christmas without my parents.

Without any family.

I rang my Aunt yesterday to which she declined. Lucky me. I wanted to ask if I could spend Christmas with her because how sad is it that a teenage girl spends Christmas alone at her school. Well, get used to it because that is going to be the reality. Sage and Mason are going home for Christmas, Elijah went weird when I asked what he was doing but I just left it and assume he is going home. He never talks about his family so I have zero clue.

Today is the day that everyone leaves campus if they are going home, I said goodbye to Sage earlier and I'm now on my way to the apartment. I don't care if Kayden is home, it's not going to stop me from saying bye to my friends. I knock lightly on the door as it is tugged open by Elijah, he stands there in just a pair of sweatpants, not airport attire.

"Hey, have you got a late flight or..." I trail off towards the end. He opens the door wider for me to step in before shutting it behind us.

"I don't have any family" he tells me. I look at him with a sad look as he turns around, dismissing me. If there is one thing I have learnt since meeting Elijah is that family is an extremely touchy subject. These boys need to communicate with me. Swear to God.

"What are you doing here?" I hear Mason's cheeky voice from behind me.

"Saying goodbye obviously" I grin at him as he pulls me in for a hug, he pats my head before releasing me.

"I've got to get to the airport before I miss my flight" he says as he wheels his luggage out of the door and leaves. I inwardly groan and decide to do something I've been dreading. It's Christmas. Everyone should be happy at this time. No drama. I walk down the hall and knock on his door, my palms sweating. It swings open and reveals a tired-looking Kayden.

"Merry Christmas" I say, giving him a small smile. He stares at me as if I had just grown a second head "Well, have a good break" I tell him, pointing to the luggage behind the bed. Again, no answer. I take that as my sign to leave so I turn around and head to Elijah's door.

"I'm sorry" Kayden's voice says from behind me "Merry Christmas Faith" he says before leaving the apartment. Wow. Mic drop. I continue my trek to Elijah's room with a large smile on my face. I walk in without knocking and see him lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

"So, are you staying here with me for the next two weeks?" I ask almost excitedly. I wouldn't mind spending Christmas with Elijah. He is basically my family.

"I guess" he groans and I jump on top of him, squishing him into the mattress. I get up after acting like a puppy and lie next to him.

"Everyone on campus has left" I tell him to which he nods. We sit in silence for a while, admiring the cracked ceiling.

"My dad abused me" he randomly says as I sit up "and my mom said I was a mistake" Oh.

"I'm so sorry" I mumble in shock, I grab his hand before he moves it and I hold it in my lap.

"I went to live with my Grandad, he eventually sent me here when he was dying and I haven't seen my parents since I was 9. They are both alive and love my siblings, but not me" he almost whispers to me as if he was about to break. Poor E. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and hold him in a tight hug for a while "I have no family, we are the same" he mumbles into my hair.

"We can be each other's family" I pull back and playfully squeeze his cheek "I'm going to stay here whilst we are on break, we are doing something fun every day"