Jurassic

Jurassic

155 million years ago

Hazards : Marine crocodiles, sharks, Predator X

"I've come to the Jurassic. This is a land of monstrous creatures" Nigel said to the cameraman. " On the land there are giant dinosaurs but here in the water. Well look at that." He says pointing towards a shoal of massive fish about the size of a Humpback whale with colors similar to modern day Whale sharks.

"That's a shoal of Leedsichthys." Nigel says. "These are one of the biggest fish to have ever lived. As big as these fish are, there are predators nearly as large that attack them. I'm here to see one of the largest marine reptiles to live in this time."

Nigel swam alongside the titans known as Leedsichthys. Observing these titans drifting in the water. "They must be about 53 feet long. This is about as big as they get.

Nigel began to get closer to one of the fish. He looks over in amazement at the size of this massive fish, certainly one of the bigger animals that he's encountered in his Prehistoric adventures. Only the Shastasaurus from his last dive was bigger.

"These giants are sustained by the tiniest creatures in these Jurassic seas." Nigel says. "What they do is they filter out any tiny plankton or any smaller animals floating in the ocean."

Nigel spots a wounded Leedsichthys at the edge of the shoal. Already, its attracting some of the smaller of the Jurassic seas.

The first one Nigel meets has a large snout resembling a Gharial's but it has smooth skin, gray on the top, white on the bottom. "Over there, Dakosaurus." Nigel points out to the cameraman. "You just wouldn't expect that this is a kind of marine crocodile, adapted for life in the sea."

The Dakosaurus swims past Nigel as the man talks about the creature. The cameraman looks concerned as the reptile swims above them, studying them. "Unlike crocodiles or alligators, these creatures lack the osteoderms of modern crocs. This creature has sacrificed defense for speed."

Soon the Dakosaurus tries to test Nigel. "That's a bit close." Nigel says before tapping the Dakosaurus on the snout and telling it to go away. 

The Dakosaurus left Nigel and the cameraman alone and started circling around the injured Leedsichthys. Just after Nigel meets another type of creature down below him but its not a reptile. It's a shark with a similar color pattern to the Dakosaurus.

"Look at that." Nigel says as he points down beneath himself. "This is the most bizarre shark called Hybodus. See those strange horns on the top of its head. Those may have been used for display rather than fighting and its going to feast now."

The Hybodus takes a bite out of the Leedsichthys flipper. Three more Hybodus joined into the feeding frenzy and two additional Dakosaurus followed them. Nigel admits that he feels sorry for the Leedsichthys as the predators are eating it alive.

The Dakosaurus approaches the giant fish and takes a bite out of another fin. Meanwhile the Hybodus tore into the tail of the injured fish.

"Pretty unnerving being right next to the shoal. You've got to worry about sharks and marine crocodiles. And if that wasn't enough they aren't the only ones here in these Jurassic waters. I haven't even seen the large marine reptile I've come here for."

But Nigel wouldn't have too long to wait. Nigel returns to the boat as the Dakosaurus and Hybodus continued to follow the injured Leedsichthys.