Miocene

Nigel walked along the Miocene beach as he talked to the cameraman. "My adventures through prehistory have taken me back to so many different time zone. Just to recap, I went back 449 million years ago to ride an Orthocone and tussle with those Sea scorpions." Nigel explained. "My second adventure was in the Devonian about 360 million years with that fearsome Dunkleosteus."

"My third adventure took me back 210 million years ago to see the bizarre marine reptiles of the Triassic. Nigel continued. "It was where I had a close encounter with a hungry Cymbospondylus, a primitive type of the ichthyosaur. After that, we went to the Jurassic about 155 million years ago where we witnessed a Pliosaur feeding frenzy. Then there was the adventure in the Cretaceous about 84 million years ago where I rode on the back of a Protostega."

"That was really fun but it did get pretty scary with that Xiphactinus swimming around the turtle. And if that wasn't enough we encountered a Tylosaurus." Nigel explained. "Our latest adventure, we went back 35 million years ago where we saw a Basilosaurus which tried to steal our speaker. But we managed to get it back, it took a while though."

"We had to wait for him to drop it before we could pick it up." Nigel told the cameraman. "And now here we are the last of the deadliest seas of all time. Let's see what this one has in store for us."

Miocene

Time : 5 Million years ago

Hazards : Megalodon, crocodiles, predatory whales.

"We're in Peru. Right on the rim of the Pacific Ocean." Nigel explained. "And living out there is something terrifying. So if you're afraid of sharks, you'll be a gibbering wreck when you see what we're about to try next."

Nigel picks up a set of teeth. "Look, the most famous jaws in history." Nigel tells the cameraman. "The Great white shark. I've been in the water with them in the open ocean."

"But even Great white was small fry in comparison to the prehistoric shark, I'm hoping to meet." Nigel explains as he steps through a much larger set of teeth. "Megalodon, the biggest carnivorous fish that has ever lived. That name Megalodon means Big Tooth and I don't think that I need to explain why."

Soon something else catches Nigel's attention on the beach. There was a group of large bird picking away at the flesh of a dead whale. "I adore birds, so it is a real joy to be able to see these creatures called Pelagornis." Nigel points out to the cameraman as the birds fed on the whale carcass.

"These birds here have one of the largest wingspans of any bird." Nigel mentioned. "Despite looking more like a prehistoric albatross or skua. Pelagornis was actually a relative to Pelicans and storks. One of the stranger things about these birds is that they have teeth."

"Pelagornis and Megalodon aren't the only creatures that live around here either. Humpback whales were also alive at this time, like this dead individual here." Nigel mentions to the cameraman. "But in addition to these creatures there were plenty of dangerous predators that inhabited the waters of Peru at this time. There were coastal crocodiles that patrolled the coasts around here called Piscogavialis."

"There were also predatory whales called Acrophyseter which swam around this area in packs just like today's Killer whales. But these were related to the Sperm whales that we know today but smaller, around the size of a Great white shark."

"And the one that ruled these waters was the Megalodon. There was another huge shark around at this time but was only slightly smaller than the larger Megalodon." Nigel explained. "Despite many comparisons to Great whites, Megalodon was actually part of a different group of shark species which have no living relatives called Otodontidae."