Chapter 3: Secrets of the Vatican

Rome, Italy.

"Is this your first visit to the secret archives?" Luchino asked Neal.

"Yes, although I've been to the Vatican library, I've never had admission to the private collection."

Neal had met Mozzie and Luchino at the entrance to the library after his appointment with Claudia. Luchino was a slight man in his fifties with long curly hair swept off his face and a trim goatee. His amiable face seemed to be constantly enjoying a private joke. The secret archive could be considered one of them. Private would be a better word for them as they contained papal records not readily available to the general public. Unlike the breathtaking beauty of the Vatican Library's Sistine Hall, the secret archive was a dark tomb of seemingly endless miles of shelving units filled with documents and manuscripts.

The cleric's face crinkled into a smile. "And it is a disappointment, yes?"

"The true treasures are in the vault," Mozzie pointed out.

Neal watched Luchino for his reaction. As a librarian who specialized in medieval manuscripts, he would know, and his only reaction was a slight shrug which was probably enough to keep Mozzie's conspiracy theory alive.

But Neal was here not to discuss vaults but to learn about a certain Mafia boss. "My contact with the Carabinieri told me they suspect Nardone could be connected to art heists but because of his prominent status they've been forced to tread warily. Is there any other information you can provide us about him?"

The ends of his mouth drooped into a frown. "I was told the rumor about the Dante manuscript from a priest who'd heard it during a confession. Because of the sanctity of the confessional, there is little I can share with you. From the way the penitent was described, I suspect he worked for Nardone. He was suffering from kidney failure and passed away a week later."

Mozzie's face oozed sympathy. "He wished to atone for his sins, a natural emotion. His conscience may have been burdened by other crimes."

"You speak truly, my friend."

Had this turned into a game of charades? Neal could play along and decided to toss another Hail Mary. It was the Vatican, after all. If a miracle was to occur, this was the proper venue. "I heard about a Caravaggio painting that was stolen from a church altar in Palermo in 1969. The Mafia was suspected of being involved. It was a horrific crime with the painting cut out from its frame. The painting has never been recovered. I would imagine such a burden would weigh as heavily on one's soul as a Dante manuscript."

Luchino shot him a sharp look. "Whoever would hide a Dante undoubtedly would be equally interested in a Caravaggio. They could justify their crimes by thinking they were patriots preserving the works for later generations."

"There was a theft of a work by a Florentine artist, Lorenzo Lippi, from a museum in France last year," Neal continued, keeping his tone even. "Our hypothetical patriot may have also considered it an act of liberation."

Luchino shrugged. "Such is the vanity of the world." He paused at one of the shelving units and traced his finger along a row of what appeared to be official records. "The villa owned by Signor Nardone dates back to the 1500s. The original construction was carried out during the time of Pope Clement VII. The villa may have served as a papal summer retreat."

Mozzie's nose twitched at the reference. Neal knew what he was thinking. That pope had been one of the Medici. Any connection to that famous Florentine family would ignite Mozzie's flames.

Luchino turned to face them. "Have you ever heard of the secret passages within the Vatican? Fascinating structures, many of them date back to the Renaissance."