Part 2

He should’ve realised it when he started walking away from Camp Jaha. He should’ve known that that’s not where she would’ve gone. As soon as he reached Mt Weather, Bellamy turned back. No, Clarke wouldn’t have gone there, he fumed to himself. Not back to Mt Weather, where the grief is still fresh and the dead still lie, boils and burns marring their once lively faces. In reality, Bellamy should’ve known this, but in recent events, he’s not surprised. He used to be in tune with his partner, just one glance or touch conveying thousands of thoughts. It was like sharing one mind between two people, uniting them and binding them to each other.

But ever since Finn’s death, Bellamy feels as if the connection between him and Clarke is gone; hence why he is stomping through the forest. It’s like the shared mind snapped into two, letting Bellamy and Clarke stray from each other and walk different paths. No, Bellamy grits his teeth in determination. I won’t let that happen again. Due to the detour, light is slowly fading and night is creeping in. Bellamy hopes he’ll make it there before it becomes dark. He does not want to become an easy target for the Grounders or any wildlife.

A few hours later, when the sky is showing the first signs of night, the wooden gates loom before Bellamy. Entering the campsite, he can see the metal hulk of the dropship. In front of it, the skeletons of Grounders who perished during their first battle with the forest warriors are scattered everywhere. The air smells of ash and dust, and Bellamy coughs when the smoky stench enters his nose. During the day, despite the mass of bones, the camp looks welcoming, almost friendly. But in the approaching dark, it looks like a graveyard, with the dropship as a large metal tombstone, telling everyone this is where the dead lie.

Bellamy slowly walks into the dropship, suddenly crossing his arms over his chest when the cold air seeps into him. Although it’s dark inside, Bellamy glances around, disappointment flooding him when he doesn’t see any evidence of someone living inside the dropship. Bellamy walks into the open and looks around, expecting to see a tent or a small fire, anything to show that Clarke was living and surviving. When Bellamy doesn’t see anything, he growls and kicks at the dirt, crushing a skull beneath his boot. The sound sickens Bellamy, but he’s too frustrated to notice or even care. All the thinks is where is Clarke?

Suddenly, a noise permeates through the still air, breaking any silence. It’s not the squawking of birds, or the rustle of leaves in the wind; it’s a voice.

We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy love.

Bellamy takes a small step forward, ears begging to hear that voice again. He’s heard it once before, but then it was only a low hum, a soft sound to calm a dying boy in his last moments. Now, it’s a low, husky alto, and Bellamy wants to, needs to hear it again.

Only scars carved into stone
On the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes.

Following the voice like a moth following a flame, Bellamy makes his way out of camp and into the dark forest. He doesn’t need a light; his feet know where to take him. Take him where the voice is. Eventually, Bellamy reaches a small clearing, where a small fire burns bright amongst the encroaching night. Nearby, he sees a small figure kneeling beside mounds of dirt, bright purple flowers laying on top of – what Bellamy now realises are – the earthy graves of Charlotte and Wells.

I'll see you again
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red
Over One Tree Hill

Bellamy gazes back at the figure, her song comforting the dead, but also Bellamy as well. Hearing her sing makes Bellamy realise how much he needs her, and how stupid he was for letting her go. Seeing her all alone, grieving, breaks Bellamy.