Chapter 28- Secret

MOYIN...

Exams are over, and my leg is not fully healed yet. I decided to walk down the hallway, hopping with one leg.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a second?” I heard Mariam's voice.

“Mariam?” I said barely above a whisper.

“How was your exams?” She asked.

Why and when did she care?

“Pretty good, actually.” I said.

I was about leaving when she spoke...

“You won't ask about mine?”

I shrugged.

“Mine was stressful.” She said sadly.

I didn't ask.

“Why?” I asked.

“My parents flogged me for causing you harm during my one-week suspension, and I'm so sorry for what I did. I had to miss the first exam, and they said I couldn't write it anymore. I just wish we could just becom--” She started to ramble, but I cut her off.

“Stop, stop. Mariam.” I ordered and she obeyed.

“Mariam, I am so sorry for everything.” She pleaded.

“I'll forgive you on one condition?” I told her.

“And what would that be?” She asked anxiously.

“I just want my best friend back.” I said.

She hugged me, clarifying that she had accepted her mistakes and wants to come back.

She hugged me too tight now.

“Urh- okay.” I pulled away, smiling at her, finally getting to breathe again.

“Sorry.” She said when she realized, she was about to choke the hell out of me.

*****

TOMIWA...

I was coming back upstairs when I was to look for Moyin. When I spotted her figure, I went a little closer and was glad that they were back as normal people. I heard Moyin's faint laugh and I realized that I really missed her laughter and smile.

I had bad news but, not wanting to disturb them, I went back into my class, taking my seat.

“God, where have you been. I am really going crazy, you know. It's like you disappeared from the planet.” Tirelogo said, making me look at him in disgust.

“Guy? I'm not gay.” I strictly said.

“Now tell me! Why weren't you in class?” He said, ignoring what I said.

“You are not my mum.” I told him.

“Uh-huh? Tell me the truth.” He demanded.

He's always stupid.

“Because I didn't feel like coming.”

“Why? Is everything okay?” He asked, making me more irritated.

I decided not to reply to him at all.

“Baby boy, you know you can trust me, right?” He asked as I raised an eyebrow at him confused.

“You can tell me anything.” I rose my second eyebrow.

I didn't say anything still.

“Say something.” He was really pressuring me and I decided to tell him.

“I'm not doing SS3 with you guys.” I said.

“Shit! That's sad.”

“I'm writing WAEC, NECO and JAMB next year, but I am not coming as a student.”

“Does Moyin know about this?” He asked.

“No. I am waiting for the right time to tell her.” I said and he nodded.

“But why, though? Why aren't you coming?”

It was really hard to say this, but I'll say it anyway.

“My parents are getting divorced, and my mum wants me to stay home to take care of my siblings. They are the only ones going to school because they are still young. She wants to fend for us after they divorce, so she has to go to work 24 hours non-stop. But don't worry, I'm coming to V.S.” I breathed out.

“So you are going home? Today?” He asked and I gave him a confused look.

“That's the whole point of the story. Why didn't you understand that since.” I glared at him.

“No, it's just that Moyin is going home today too because her leg hasn't fully healed.”

“What are you saying.” I asked him, still confused.

“I'm saying that since our parents aren't home and your siblings are not either, you can come to my house every day to see Moyin. I mean by that time she would have known about this.” He said and I nodded.

“That makes sense.” I gulped.

“That means you and my baby sister are going to be alone in one room.” He laughed, wiggling his eyebrow.

I gave him a look that said really.

“What?"

“Nothing. What you are saying is stupid. Don't worry, we aren't going to fuck each other.”

We both laughed.

“But are you sure about this sneaking in thing?” I asked, thinking we might get caught.

“Yes absolutely.” He said proudly, grinning.