⠀⠀⠀five.

—one year later—

every day it was something new.

if it wasn't the garrison testing something, it was the media doing its utmost best to keep the public informed as well as making sure they felt safe — yet at the same time, with the daily looming thoughts of an invasion landing on planet earth any day, there was only so much a peppy news reporter in a pink floral dress or a dashing purple button up, standing in a newsroom, who knows where in the world could do to ease the fears of millions around the globe.

life went on though.

advancements in technology that sam holt had bought in over the last year had integrated themselves into the daily lives of those at the garrison. young cadets who had only practiced day in and day out in simulations were now soaring through the skies feeling as though they were untouchable. in a way, they were.

on the ground; there was the combination of brilliant minds eliza and sam, who spent hours upon hours thinking of every possible battle strategy planet earth could have if an attack were to take place. plans for new ships were constantly being developed, ideas that took inspiration from other solar systems were thrown around, they had even begun to explore the thought of a particle barrier for a perimeter around the galaxy garrison.

in the mix of it all though, was nova.

now it wasn't like she had begged on her knees that she had to be a part of anything that was taking place. no, you see, when you first hand witnessed the death of an ace pilot while photographing the event - in which the pilot dies - you kind of get pushed along for the ride. therefore, for the last twelve months, she had become the garrison's official documenter. she spent most, if not all of the hours in her days photographing the day-to-day events that occurred within the facility.

"could you just hold that pose one more time?" nova's question was met with a long sigh and an eye roll, but none the less nadia rizavi did what she was asked and once more was holding the pose.

with the click of the shutter from the camera as well as a soft 'perfect' escaping the lips of the blonde haired photographer, nova had captured what she needed.

"nadia have i mentioned lately that you seriously are the best?" the cadet only responded with a roll of her eyes, not in the rude way of course more so in the sense of 'me? please stop you are too much'

"get a move on woods i want to meet james up top to see the start of the particle barrier!" the dark haired woman spoke before gently tugging her towards the way she wanted the duo to go of course, nadia didn't get much of a move on.

"you go on ahead i'll follow up in a minute i just want to-" but nova's voice was cut off

"see your fiancée? have you guys decided on a date or if eliza will be eliza woods? or would you be nova powell?" questions fell off nadia's tongue a mile a minute and nova couldn't help but shake her head

"don't you have a first time barrier to see come to life?" she quizzed, and with a small breath inwards and a slight wave goodbye nova was left behind.

the blonde chuckled lightly to herself as she collected her few items and began placing them on her person as nadia's voice echoed throughout her brain. it was true there were so many things the two needed to decide on eliza and nova were engaged now.