Chapter 21

As Percy had found out, reforming was harder than he thought it would be like. And he had problems with it.

Many problems.

Especially with reforming-at-the-worst-possible-time thing.

But anyhow, Percy was relieved to be reforming, albeit a bit annoyed.

The first thing he saw after his body shut down was . . . blackness. Dull, bland, dark, darkness. He couldn't walk, talk, nor scream in frustration. Fortunately, it seemed as though only his consciousness was there; he couldn't feel any pain.

Percy suspected that he was in some sort of waiting room, waiting for his body to reform.

He patiently waited.

Five seconds later, he was itching to move.

Ten seconds later, he gave up.

Just how long is this going to take? Percy grumbled. I bet Artemis never had to wait.

If he could have, he would have been sleeping soundly, since Artemis had forced him to skip his valuable sleep time. Unfortunately, his mind was alert and active, Like he had drank one too many coffees, and his mind was fully running on artificial fuel.

It sure felt like he had drank gallons of coffee; he was itching to move, but he couldn't. He didn't know which one was worse; the endless darkness, or the fact he couldn't move.

If this is my consciousness, why can't I decorate it? Percy groused. It would be much better if there were lots of light. Lots and lots of light. Preferably hundreds. Ooh! And a bed.

Percy eagerly waited to see if anything would appear out of nothingness. 

After a few seconds, he deflated in sadness.

Well . . . not quite. Since he could only control his thought, he had to stick to imagining.

This is perfect, Percy thought sarcastically. Just relaxing in my brain, in a space darker than night, with nothing to do. Even if I could do things, I can't move . . . get me out of here!

Percy passed the time in a cycle of frustration, sadness, and then a second of actual peace and calm.

Then he got frustrated again.

Eventually, after what felt like eternity—and to Percy was probably eternity—the background began to change. Instead of looking like an alley one would get mugged in, Percy could now actually . . . see things.

It was a bit confusing, though. Instead of seeing the world in color, the world was still clad in darkness. Instead, however, he could see . . . silhouettes of buildings. It didn't make sense—but then again, nothing ever did to Percy.

Even more surprising, was that he could feel his body again. He looked down, and could barely see the outline of his body, which was blending in almost perfectly with the surrounding darkness. He gave his hand a test shake, just to make sure he had full control. Once he made sure, he felt happy enough to shout in joy, happy that he wasn't constrained.

Of course, he didn't; unless he had lost his sight to see colors, he obviously wan't in the real world. A powerful being could've summoned him there, or it was just his mind getting ready to spit him back into he real world. He wasn't going to take the risk, though.

After the place stopped transforming and moving, it looked familiar. Percy squinted, trying to pinpoint the memory. The place was a black abyss, the plateau disrupted by shadows of walls and buildings.

Plateau!

It was the place he had met Chaos. He was so excited, that he started running and tripped over his own feet. In slow-motion, his head hit the building in front and a bit right of him hard enough to give him a concussion, and he fell to the ground with a yelp, seeing stars.

At least, that was what Percy thought would happen. Instead, the building/wall disappeared in front of him, giving the impression that nothing in the place could hurt him.

And then Percy slammed into the ground, almost giving him a broken nose. He groaned in pain and got up, embarrassed.

Like any dream he had in that place, he walked to the center—only this time, a bit slower, thanks to his fall. Instead, he limped towards the center, increasing his pace once he saw the hooded figure in the center.

Again, similar to all of his other dreams, the person turned around and gave Percy a brilliant smile that made him flush a bright red. Unlike everything else in the space, the figure's face was colored, as if he had a spotlight on him. Percy could clearly see the person's handsome and chiseled face, his black eyes like a void that could suck Percy into them for days. But unlike any void, his eyes were filled with happiness when he saw Percy. It was Chaos.

The happiness turned into concern, the dazzling smile went away when he noticed Percy limping.

"What happened?" Chaos asked, quickly walking over to Percy and slinging Percy's arm over his shoulder to help support him. "Did you not heal while reforming?" Chaos made a chair appear out out nowhere, and helped Percy sit down. Since the chair was made out of a black, foggish type of material, Percy expected it to be cold—or even a bit soft. 

Instead, it was as hard as metal.

"Er . . ." Percy wasn't sure how to respond. "Maybe?"

Instead of getting worried that Percy might have hit his head, Chaos broke through his worried mood and started laughing. "Don't . . . tell me . . . you tripped . . . ," Chaos spoke between bursts.

Percy flushed red in embarrassment, giving Chaos the evidence he needed. He was laughing so hard, that tears were coming out of his eyes. He looked more like he was choking on his laughs.

Percy waited until Chaos calmed down, hiding his head in his hands.

Five minutes later, Chaos recovered enough to talk. His whole face was red from laughing, that he looked like a cherry.

"Did you purposely pull me into your dream, or was this random?"

"I did it," Chaos said, in serious-business mode. His eyes had an excited look to them, as though he had figured out something big. Percy snapped to attention. "I think I may have figured out how to bring back your memories."