Seven

The alley across from the construction site provided the perfect cover for their late night espionage, Addison and JJ walked to the location while Pope and Kie went back to get her car and then to Pope's house. Other than Ward's truck parked on the street, there wasn't a soul in sight. Rain was beginning to fall from the sky, ever so lightly.

Addison anxiously twisted her necklace around her finger, as she and JJ hid behind a fence—out of Ward's sight—and JJ took notice immediately. "Hey, you all right?" He questioned, raising his hand to caress her cheek. His thumb rubbed against her cheek as he looked into her eyes.

"What if we don't get the evidence we need, J? I don't want Ward to win again." Her voice was soft, so soft that JJ barely heard her. "We can't let Ward win again."

"Sunny, we're gonna nail this son of a bitch and bring our boy home. I won't let him win this time." JJ extended his pinky. "I promise that the bastard is gonna get what's coming to him. We will avenge our boy no matter what the cost."

The blonde interlocked her pinky with his, comforted by his words. "Thanks, J."

"Anytime, baby."

"Guys!" They heard Kiara call from behind them. She and Pope came running up to them, an ancient looking object in Pope's hand.

"What the hell is that?" Addison questioned, any technology older than smartphones, laptops, and digital cameras were foreign to her.

"Our key to exonerating our friend."

The light rain got heavier and thunder boomed while lightning lit up the sky above.

"Nice camera. Where'd you dig up that relic? Why don't you just use your phone?" JJ questioned as Pope held the camera up to his face.

"Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics. Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away." Pope answered.

"Lord of the dorks."

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass. There he is!" Pope announced as he noticed Ward running from his truck to the construction site, a duffel bag clutched tightly to his chest—as if he knew he had eyes on him and didn't want anything, or anyone, to take Gavin's payoff.

"Yo! Get down!" JJ urged as his friends followed his lead in ducking down.

"And there's Gavin." Another figure appeared from the other end of the street, running towards Ward. "Where you going, you son of a bitch? No, no, no, no. I'm losing him. Shit! Where's he going?"

"Out of sight of any possible witness." Addison responded.

"Hold on." JJ said as he ran to look for another way to spy on Ward. He whistled for everyone's attention. "Hey. I found something. Come here."

"You guys go ahead, I'm going to see if I can get a closer look." Addison spoke, opening the gate of the fence as her friends ran back.

Once she got to the partially finished building, she looked for an area where she could get close enough to hear Ward and Gavin speak, but a safe spot where she could maintain cover.

Across the street, JJ took notice that Addison was not on the roof with them. "Where did she go?"

"She was going to try and find somewhere closer. I think she's at the construction site."

Pope got his camera set up.

"Shit!" JJ exclaimed, he couldn't protect her from Ward if she was over there. What if she were to get caught?