15. Proms

Our plane lands at Heathrow Friday morning. George has instructed me where to meet him outside the terminal. The car rolls up and we pile in.  

"Hi lover." He murmurs, leaning over and playfully tickling the skin beneath my earlobe with his warm tongue.  I close my eyes and breathe in his woodsy scent, a chill spreading across my body. He slips his hand over mine and interlaces our fingers as he chats to the girls in the backseat. 

"Dhani can't wait to meet everyone." He lifts my hand, "especially you." He grins and kisses my fingertips.

  After a gorgeous drive through the English countryside, we arrive at Friar Park. The girls' faces are plastered against the car windows as we approach the house. Dhani greets us in the foyer as we make our way through the grand front door, lugging our bags.

"Dhani, this is Samantha." George introduces me. He shakes my hand tentatively. He is practically a carbon copy of his father at that age, skinny with a huge moptop of dark hair and brooding eyes.

"Hello Dhani. It is great to finally meet you."

"Hi Samantha. It is good to meet you as well." He answers quietly, releasing my hand.

I turn to the girls introduce them. He smiles sheepishly, nodding and saying 'hi' as his eyes lingering on Jane.

I show everyone to their rooms. We reconvene at the top of the stairs after we have freshen up. The house should come with its own map for guests.  I conduct a quick walk through finishing in the kitchen. An petite older woman offers us hot drinks, sandwiches, and fresh fruit. George bounds into kitchen and enthusiastically offers a tour of the grounds while he inhales half a cheese sandwich, taking the other half with him.

We head out into the abundant spring sunshine. Harry concludes weeding an unruly patch of daffodils to join our procession, helping to narrate as Dhani points out favorite plants and recounts how George loves to leap out from behind the boxwood hedges to frighten him. Fantastic colors and fragrances flood the senses. We roam through the maze pretending to get lost, all of us hollering and laughing boisterously, temporarily drowning out the glorious birdsong.

  As we progress toward to the lake, Elizabeth excitedly asks if we can see the grotto. 

"Yes, certainly." Harry replies and we clamor into the boats. George reaches under the seat and holds up a few tapers and lighter. During the quick trip across the lake, he lights the candles, passing them around as we enter a dark tunnel. We emerge into a subterranean wonder. The air is dank.  George hops out and we follow him carefully as he pauses to light incense and stationary candles.  The darkness gives way to an eerie glow reflecting off the jagged walls. George ambles to a small area of smooth rocks and sits, inviting us to do the same. A peaceful silence descends as we take in our surroundings, a few statues seemingly judging us. 

"Something just crawled on my ankle!!!" Iris shrieks without warning and leaps to her feet and violently shaking her leg as if the reptile is still attached to her. 

  "It's just a salamander." Dhani bursts into uncontrollable laughter.

" I hate those little buggers too!" Harry commiserates with Iris in an effort to quell her embarrassment and suggests we head back to the daylight.

The weekend is one nonstop party for those so inclined.  The girls waste no time drinking and getting to know the other house guests, one by one disappearing from massive lounge. George and I settle comfortably on a settee observing the mating rituals playing out in front of us. He idly strums his guitar, quietly singing so I have to lean close to hear him.