chapter 14: know there's something more

From what Athanase could remember, Verena — well, Autumn — was the one who found him. Everyone started considering her to be his saviour, like how Lucas, the young genius magician, had saved his sister.

Which didn't make sense — even though Autumn also transmigrated into this world, Verena only properly had the ability to use magic when she started reading books on dark magic when she turned fourteen. So, logically speaking, Verena shouldn't have been able to do anything.

Wait.

.

("I'll agree to that deal," Verena had spoken, voice muffled in the midst of his steadily drifting consciousness. "Please... save His Imperial Highness.")

.

He would have to ask her about that deal. Lucas must've saved him, after all, and allowed Autumn to take credit in exchange for doing something... but what?

——————————

"Good afternoon, Your Highness," Verena had curtsied. Autumn was playing the role of a noble's daughter perfectly as she then took her seat across from him. If he didn't remember that she transmigrated, he would've thought he dreamt the whole thing.

Felix was here, subtly keeping an eye on Verena. It felt... kind of obvious.

'He's definitely suspicious of her,' Athanase thought. 'As much as I want to ignore him and talk without reservation, we would only be inviting more questions.'

'Of course he's suspicious of me,' Autumn thought, startling Athanase who looked at her with wide eyes. 'First came a boy who miraculously cured Princess Athanasia's illness when nobody else could, and then when Prince Athanasios passes out, it turns out his playmate and marriage candidate finds him and manages to heal him? It's too convenient, even for a world in a fanfic.'

'Autumn?' Athanase blinked.

'Holy mother—' Verena blinked back, seeming startled. 'I did not write this plot convenience in my Toska rewrite...'

'Well, it certainly helps.'

'Dude, say something already. You're being suspiciously quiet, and my legs hurt from holding this curtsy. Do you know how uncomfortable heels are?' Autumn viciously thought. "Your Imperial Highness?" Verena prompted, tilting her head.

"Lady Verena, it's so good to see you again," he smiled.

"It's good to see that you're doing well," Verena stated, taking her seat across from him as she glanced over the sweets on the table. 'Strawberry cheesecake! Hell yes!'

'I hate this whole awkward noble kids small talk,' Athanase hummed as he took a sip of his tea. 'It's not like we can talk about anything in front of Felix, either. He'll spill the details to dad, and I'm not in the mood to talk about your fanfiction in front of people.'

Upon hearing the word "fanfiction", Verena visibly perked up.

'That's it!' Autumn gleefully thought.

'What?' Athan warily wondered.

"Your Highness, may I have permission to speak somewhat informally?"

"You may," he cautiously said, as Felix seemed somewhat taken aback by the girl's abrupt request. 'What are you trying to pull, Autumn?'

"Would you say you're well-acquainted with Marquess Milford and Count Nightingale?"