Chapter 6: Time

Over a week had passed so far since Sasuke and Sakura had been labelled fugitive criminals.

During that week, one of Naruto's most trusted people had become Sai. Though he was an abrasive jerk at first, Sai had done well to prove his loyalty to their office. Naruto had been almost overwhelmed by the amount of information that Sai had found. Akatsuki was more extensive and more dangerous than they expected. They'd gone to work once Ino was awake, piecing everything together and relying on Dr. Senju to keep an eye on the blonde. She was conditionally allowed to go home under supervision. Dr. Senju had even agreed to make home visits; this was to put her in immediate protective custody again under Sai's watch.

"What do we have?" The blonde asked, his usual jovial demeanour gone, replaced by a serious, almost businesslike face as he entered the safehouse. He was the last one to arrive, it seemed.

"Well, we've traced some of their dealings to a company that we may be able to get insider details from... assuming certain parties can cooperate, that is." This was the lead they'd been looking for over the last two months. Naruto wondered, could it have anything to do with Idate Shimura? Or rather... Itachi Uchiha?

That had been a difficult part of things for Naruto to wrap his head around. The real Idate Shimura was dead, rumoured to be killed by Sasuke, with Sakura's help, in an explosive house fire at her previous residence. The same place that Sakura had been attacked in by Hidan just a few months before. Rather than face the push for incarceration, they'd gone on the run... with a bit of under-the-table assistance from friends. The unfortunate part was that it made them look more guilty than they were... but it was a necessity.

"We have to be careful how we approach things," Chief Hatake spoke. He was the most unlikely of their allies; he was the head of their department, sworn to follow the letter of the law... and yet here he was, assisting them in an underhanded investigation. He could smell the corruption just as well as they could.

"If it means getting my best friend and Sakura out of being on the run for the rest of their lives, then screw it. We'll damn well do it," Naruto said, slamming a hand down on the table. "Sasuke never deserved this, and neither did Sakura! We were just... we were all doing our damn jobs, nothing more!" He was tired of the waiting. He wanted results, and he wanted them now. He hated sitting on his ass like this. It made him antsy.

"Calm down, Naruto," Ino said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I know better than anyone how little Sakura deserved any of what she's been given. The only thing we have to count on is that she's with Sasuke. He won't let anything happen to her." Ino's memories had yet to return fully, but her instincts seemed clear as ever. She'd recently been released from the hospital on doctor's orders; it was earlier than anticipated, but with Dr. Senju now on their side, they had her to look out for Ino.

Naruto sighed. "Yeah... I know. I'm just worried, ya know? Worried that he's going to have to live like this the rest of his life... when all he deserves is a little justice for what happened. Just a little." He was angry. His friend had done nothing wrong, nothing to deserve this, and the authorities couldn't understand that he was a victim.

"He won't. Trust me." Ino chewed her lip. "Worst case scenario, if they get brought in, I can assure you, they will have the best goddamn lawyer they can have. And Konoha is going to lose the only prosecutor that could prosecute their damn case." Naruto turned with a skeptical look at Ino, hearing her words; Sai's and Kakashi's gazes also followed.

"Ino, you wouldn't," Naruto asked, shocked beyond belief.

"You are damn right I would. I will quit my job and become their damned defence lawyer if it means getting them out of things. The prosecution department had better fear me because I will raise hell to save my best friend." Ino's look was dead serious. He'd never seen her this serious. To give up her job to defend her best friend in court, knowing she would be one of the only defence lawyers capable of getting them off scot-free?