Valentine's Day (pt. 2??)

Jack was buying books. He'd saved every penny, dime, and nickel, sneaking a couple extra papers he knew he wouldn't sell, putting on a sad face when Wiesel handed him dimes for each paper he had left at the end of the day. 

After a month, he'd saved up enough to buy a stack of books from a small store down the street. He came home that day with a huge grin on his face, and a ratty bag over his shoulder. All the boys were excited, shoving past each other to see the books. But Jack headed straight for the rooftop, where he knew Crutchie would be waiting. 

The small boy was sitting there, cheeks red from the cold. It was late January, and the evenings were much colder now, sharp and biting. 

"Charlie? Whatcha doin' up here? 's much warmer inside," Jack said through numb lips, crawling through the thin layer of snow over to where his boyfriend was sitting. Crutchie didn't seem to be affected by the cold, but eagerly leaned into Jack's body heat when the leader of the newsies wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

"I was waitin' for you," Charlie whispered, shivering in Jack's arms. "They was bein' loud, and it was quiet up here."

"Yeah, but it's also freezin'. Come on inside. I got a present for youse." Jack helped Charlie into the lodging house, sitting him down on his bed. He closed and locked the door, then wrapped his boyfriend in a blanket.

Crutchie's eyes were sparkling as Jack came to sit back down beside him. "What kinda present didja get me?" he asked eagerly, leaning on Jack's shoulder.

Kelly chuckled softly, kissing his lover's soft and sandy brown hair before pulling out the books. "Which one do you wanna read first, baby?"

The look of awe and happiness on Crutchie's face as he saw the books was worth the trouble, Jack decided. He hadn't seen the boy this happy in such a long time that his heart overflowed with joy. 

"Can we read this one?" Crutchie asked earnestly, pointing at 'Romeo and Juliet'. "I've wanted to read this one for a while."

Jack grinned and nodded, opening the book, which was in surprisingly good shape. "'Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona, where we lay our scene..." he started, watching the wonderment on Crutchie's face.

-----

Over the next few weeks, Crutchie and Jack acted out Romeo and Juliet a multitude of times. Crutchie had decided that this book was his favorite, and every night they acted out a couple of scenes, to Crutchie's enjoyment. 

Suddenly, Valentine's Day was around the corner, and Jack knew exactly what to do for Crutchie. 

That day, he was reading through one of his other books when Race burst into his room, asking something about what to do for Spot Conlon, whom Race was seeing/fucking. Jack gave a vague answer about flowers, ushering Race out of his room despite the protests from the lanky blonde.

Once Race was gone, Jack set to work reciting lines from Romeo and Juliet, though he already practically knew them by heart. He kept shooting looks over at the ring on the bed, nervously saying the lines to himself, over and over and over.

All of a sudden, it was Valentine's Day, and the day was coming to a close. It was warmer than it had been recently, though not by much as dark started to coat the city. Crutchie was waiting up on the roof for Jack again, and grinned as his boyfriend finally emerged. "There you is! I was waitin'."

"Well, I had to get my present for ya ready," Jack replied, smiling back. He tried to hide how nervous he was by helping Crutchie up. "Cmon, let's go inside. I got somethin' to shows ya."

The two walked inside, and once they were in Jack's room, Jack gently placed a blindfold around Crutchie's eyes. "Okay. You ready?"

Crutchie nodded eagerly, grinning. "Mhm!"

Jack cleared his throat, saying, "By yonder blessèd moon I vow,That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops..."

His boyfriend chuckled softly and continued, "O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,That monthly changes in her circled orb,Lest that thy love prove likewise variable."

Jack responded with Romeo's line, "What shall I swear by?"

"Do not swear at all.Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,Which is the god of my idolatry,And I'll believe thee."

"If my heart's dear love-" Jack started, pausing for Crutchie's line, which cut into his.

"Well, do not swear. Although I joy in thee,I have no joy of this contract tonight.It is too rash, too unadvised, too sudden,Too like the lightning, which doth cease to beEre one can say "It lightens." Sweet, good night.This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.Good night, good night. As sweet repose and restCome to thy heart as that within my breast," Charlie recited, taking a breath after his line.

Now, Jack's heart was starting to flutter, anxiety spiking. "O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?"

Crutchie started to falter, saying in an unsteady voice, "What satisfaction canst thou have tonight?" 

Jack slipped the blindfold off, revealing the ring that was resting in the palm of his hand as he knelt on one knee. "Th' exchange of thy love's faithful vow for mine," he whispered, smiling nervously.

What came next made Jack's heart swell with love and affection for his lover. Crutchie burst into tears, and Jack quickly ran over, wrapping him in his arms. "Hey, hey, doll, 'm sorry, I didn't mean to make ya cry."

Crutchie shook his head, fishing around in his pocket and pulling out a slightly scruffy ring. "No, no, it ain't ya fault, Jackie," he said through a sob, laughing softly. "I was gonna...I don't know how, but I was gonna propose to youse..."

Kelly gasped quietly, chuckling. "My beautiful boy," he whispered, wiping Crutchie's tears and smiling widely at him. He slid the ring on to Crutchie's finger, and then kissed him softly, hugging him again. "I love's ya, Crutchie. So much."