37. The Archive of Alternate Endings, Part 2

It was December. An inch of snow was allowed to blanket the ground at Camp Half-Blood.

Winter had arrived just fine, but without Persephone, Annabeth wasn't entirely sure how springtime would ever come. Maybe an eternal winter would combat global warming, she thought. Or maybe the Persephone kids would finally be useful for something other than flower arrangements.

Thalia showed up at Camp Half-Blood's council to confirm that the Hunters didn't know where Artemis went. Also, she confirmed that she was still immortal and ageless. 

"Artemis has never even had demigod children," Thalia complained. "How could she have been cruel or taken advantage of half-bloods?"

"She was only mean to half of the half-bloods she met," said Percy. "The men."

"What about Hestia?" asked Thalia. "She's never had kids and she's super nice to men."

"Maybe she faded into obscurity," said Nico. "When's the last time you've seen a hearth?"

"You're so negative, Nico," Will scolded. "Look on the bright side: it's entirely possible that all of the gods have simply been imprisoned."

"I made the wrong choice," Annabeth muttered. It was all bitterly clear, but only in retrospect. "I can see that now."

Nico shot back, "The outcome was predetermined by three old hags before we were even born. What kind of choice is that?"

"One where the destination is set but the path is unclear," Will argued. "That's still meaningful. It's how we get there that matters. It's what reveals our character."

"Yeah, why else would we have different regions of the Underworld to punish or reward souls if everything was predetermined?" Reyna said.

"Still seems lousy to me," grumbled Nico. "Oedipus probably wouldn't be consoled by the fact that the woman he married was his mother, despite the fact that he chose how he married her."

Annabeth sighed. "Thank you, everyone. Meeting adjourned."

~~~

After their meeting, Reyna lingered in the Big House. She threw a rubber ball at the wall.

"How do we know we won't become just like the gods?" she asked. She caught the ball above her head.

"What do you mean?"

"You know, abuse our power and stuff. How do we ensure that demigods never become tyrannical?" She chucked the ball at the wall again and caught it.

"I don't know," Annabeth admitted. If their future was their own, as Annabeth had wished, it would become their responsibility to rule gently. The prospect terrified her, whereas only half a year ago, it would have excited her.

In the far corner of the room, Chiron, Katie Gardner, Connor and Travis Stoll played pinochle. Playing always reminded Annabeth of Mr. D's absence. It was strange feeling nostalgic for a god she had never really liked.

"I mean, there are demigods who think that we're superior to mortals," Reyna said bitterly, bringing Annabeth back to their conversation. "How's that any different from the gods' belief that they're better than mortals? How do we stop ourselves from turning on them?"

Annabeth took Reyna's hands in her own. Annabeth placed the rubber ball on a side table, next to an anthurium plant that one of the Hecate kids had placed. It had become easier, more natural, for Annabeth to show her affection toward Reyna every day.

"Without so many gods, we might be among the last of the half-bloods," said Annabeth. "For now, we need to recognize that we are equals—"

Will Solace burst through the Big House door. "It's...there are about a dozen mortals outside the border of camp, demanding to be let in!"

The sudden gust of cold air with Will's intrusion made Annabeth's hands tremble in Reyna's strong, steady hands. 

Chiron stood, revealing his shaggy winter coat. "They know what we are?"

"They know everything! They're by Thalia's tree!"

Reyna returned Annabeth's gaze. Reyna was concerned about these mortals. There was something different about them.

Annabeth, Reyna, and Chiron dashed after Will. The sharp winter air contrasted with the cozy heat from inside.

Outside the camp's borders, the world was covered in a layer of knee-deep snow. A ragged band of teenagers ranging in age from about ten to fourteen pressed their noses against the invisible magical barrier.

They wore mismatched clothes. Some of them had scarves and jackets made of scraps. A few of them had wrapped themselves with blankets instead of coats. None of them had proper snow boots. The older teenagers had torn clothing powdered in a light dust that wasn't snow.

Based on their appearance, some of them had been battling homelessness and probably monsters, too.

Annabeth counted about twelve of them. They looked oddly familiar.

The dragon, Ladon, seemed undisturbed by the appearance of the mortals. Chiron, however, did seem disturbed. All he said was, "Ah. I see."

Annabeth searched Chiron's expression for clues. Although he maintained an excellent poker face, Annabeth knew him well enough to see the disappointment in his eyes.

Annabeth's heart sank. There were few things more upsetting than the disappointment of a mentor. 

That's when the full consequence of her wish became clear. She knew what had happened.

"Who are you?" asked Reyna.

A dark-haired mortal boy spoke. "My name is Carson Singleton. I woke up as an eleven year-old mortal."

"You woke up mortal?" Will demanded, "Weren't you always mortal?"

"No, I wasn't. I have the feeling that this is a permanent arrangement. This is Fate."

Annabeth saw the three Fates appear on the crest of the hill, but no one else seemed to notice.

Her wish had been granted: the cruelest divine beings would face justice; they would not be able to influence the destinies of mortals.

Demigods couldn't build the world anew, but they could take what they had and make it their own.

If Annabeth looked harder, she could see the Norse Norns, gods of destiny.

She locked eyes with one of the ladies. Visions flashed by her so fast that she almost couldn't process what she was seeing.

She saw Carson Singleton as a fourteen year-old, fighting for his life. She saw him, struck with a poisoned arrow, struggling to find cover behind a brick wall. She saw Carson's shroud, emblazoned with a lightning bolt, burning at the center of Camp Half-Blood.

Annabeth blinked, and the Fates were gone.

"Who did you used to be?" asked Annabeth.

Although he was mortal, Carson Singleton's eyes were electric blue. "I was Zeus, king of the gods."

THE END

~~~

A/N: Hey, that ending sounds familiar...Ha ha!

Thank you for reading! If you'd like to show your support, please remember to vote.
If you'd like to let me know your thoughts, please leave a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

I wish you well. Thanks again!