nineteen

A week had passed since Steve has found out that Ponyboy was ready to put a label on their relationship, and yet he still hadn't reached back out to him.

They'd seen each other, sure, but it was only just friendly conversation. Nothing more. He'd had been thinking everything over, unsure of what to do.

  The possibility of Ponyboy breaking his head wasn't the only variable he had to worry about. There was the matter of getting caught or outed to the public. Not everyone was accepting. As if him being a greaser wasn't already enough of a reason for him to get jumped.

  But he was so tired of being afraid. Being afraid of socs, of his dad, of losing his best friend, of getting hurt.

  Steve eventually decided that he was ready. He was nervous, but finally felt ready to confront Pony.

  Hesitantly, he walked into the Curtis house. Steve knew that no one would be home except for Ponyboy.

"Pony?" He called out, tentatively. Just a minute later, Pony came bounding down the stairs and into the living room.

"Hey, Steve, I thought that was you." He moved forward, as if to hug him, but stopped. "Uh, what's up?"

"I came to talk." Steve rubbed his arm, nervously.

"Oh?" Pony sat down on the couch, motioning for Steve to do the same.

He followed him, sighing. "I know that I've been kind of avoiding you. Well not really avoiding, but-"

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Pony said.

"Right. Well, basically I just came over because, well..." he took a deep breath. "I want to be with you, Ponyboy. It sucks not talking to you and I'm not even going to lie, I really really liked kissing you. I guess I've realized that I don't even care if you might hurt me. Sometimes you have to take chances, and I guess being with you is a pretty good chance."

Pony was smiling wide, but trying to hide it. "Are you sure?"

Steve groaned. "Yes, dude. It feels like we've been dancing around each other for like, four years now."

The other boy laughed. "Yeah, it really does."

They were silent, staring at each other. Steve finally shook his head. "I guess it's gotta be me that asks: Ponyboy Curtis," he got down on one knee and took Pony's hands into his own.

"Oh my God." Pony laughed.

"Will you make me the happiest guy on this Earth and date me? Be my boyfriend? My special fella?"

Pony smacked him, playfully. "Please never say 'special fella' ever again."

"So is that a no?" Steve asked.

"You're stupid." Pony grinned. "I would love to be your boyfriend."

"Well hallelujah." Steve stood up, fist pumping the air. "I got myself a guy."

"Can we kiss now?"

"Yeah," Steve's cheeks flushed, still not used to it. "Of course."

He leaned down and pressed his lips softly against Ponyboy's, as if afraid to scare him away. He was smiling when they pulled away. "I really like you."

  "Yeah? I really like you too." Pony grinned.

  Steve pushed him away. "I know."

  "Smart-ass." Pony laughed and tackled him down to the floor. They wrestled around for a minute, laughing and carrying on.

  Eventually, Steve engulfed the other boy in a hug. "This is great."

  "Yeah." Pony agreed, pulling away. "I'm real glad that you randomly invited me out that one day."

  "Can you imagine if I didn't?" Steve asked. "We'd still be hating each other."

  "Sure would've saved a lot of pain and confusion if you didn't."

  "Shut up." Steve playfully pushed him. "Pain and confusion because of you."

  "Yeah, yeah." He smiled. "We gonna tell Sodapop?"

  Steve bit his lip, anxiety overtaking him. "Yeah, I suppose we should."

  "It'll be fine." Ponyboy assured. "You know he's not going to be mad."

  "I know, I just...am scared."

  "Me too." Pony agreed. "But he's not mad about us being two guys. I'm halfway convinced that he has a thing for Two-bit."

  "You've noticed that too?" Steve laughed.

  "You mean have I noticed how they 'play' flirt every time Two-Bit walks into the DX? Yeah, I've noticed."

  Steve shook his head. "You bring that up to him. That's a brother conversation."

  "Telling him that we're together is a best friend conversation." Pony countered.

  Steve shrugged. "Fair enough."

  "Are you mad?" Steve asked.

  Sodapop shook his head. "I've seen this coming, man. For a while, remember."

  "I know, but I still figured I'd get the whole 'don't hurt my baby brother or lay a hand on him or I'll kill you' speech."

  "Honestly," Soda leaned against the counter. "he would probably be the one to hurt you. He's seemed pretty wishy-washy these past few weeks."

  "Yeah," Steve frowned. "I'm hoping we're past that."

  "Don't worry Stevie." Soda smiled. "I'll be here if something ever happens." The door to the DX jingled open. "Welcome to the DX." Soda said, automatically.

  "Hey handsome," Two-bit smiled and walked over to the two of them.

  "Oh," Soda smiled, almost bashfully. "Hi Two-bit."

  "You trying to ditch?" He asked.

  "This ain't like school, Two-Bit." Sodapop rolled his eyes. "I can't just leave my job."

  Steve observed how the two of them interacted, dutifully noting how nervous Soda looked.

  He made a mental note to tell Ponyboy. He stopped himself at that though. Tell Ponyboy. He smiled. They were together. That was something he could do now.

  He felt giddy, and then embarrassed, and then just happy.

  He couldn't wait to see Ponyboy again.

Why tf am I back? I decided I want to be wattpad famous again. Pls follow I crave internet validation <3