CHAPTER 3

Petra

Mr Lautner was right about the jobs available here. I had no other choice but to teach. I talked to him about the job and thankfully the vacancy was still there. I got the job. Here's the difficult part. I usually have a dead face because I am always so done with my life. And sign language is not all about our hands but it is also about expression. I practised expressions for a long time in front of my mirror. The school was full of surprises. The students weren't all disabled with hearing. There were a lot of kids with different problems. But all of them wanted to learn it so that they could communicate with all their classmates. All these kids also came from poor family so the fee was also low. Mr Lautner was sure doing a heavenly job. The children were excited to see me. I guess I too was. But my dead face sure scared them. But as I began to communicate with them, they were comfortable as if we had known each other for a long time. My face was expressive while I was teaching. A student had come late. He was an adult.

"Sorry, for being late, ma'am.", he apologized. "I'm James."

"Well, hello, James. Being late for your first class sure made you lose your first impression of the class. Can't help it though. Please get in. Be on time for the next class.", I said, talking and doing signs. He sat amongst the younger students. I taught the students the basics first like greetings and fruits. The students seemed to enjoy my class. Well, I was satisfied with my work. When my class ended Mr Marshall had come with a cart. A cart with a lot of baked sweets. I don't like sweets much. But I'm fine with little. He offered me some of the sweets. I took a little and tasted it. It was really good. I wanted to have a little bit more but it would hurt my ego to ask for it when earlier I just asked for little. I don't know if Mr Marshall read my thoughts or something but he came towards me and said, 'Would you please have a bit more?'

I didn't want to say no because they tasted good. So, I just took the cookie that he offered. It was delicious! He laughed when he saw me eat happily.

'I will get a few extra next time', he said.

Now that's embarrassing. I must have looked like a foodie.

'No thank you, Mr Marshall.', I said.

'Please call me Will. And please don't think that I thought you were a foodie. You don't look and act like one.', he said smiling.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling back from a relief.

'I like it when people enjoy my food.'

'They are really tasty, Sir."

'Madam...'

"I'm sorry. Your food is really tasty, Will. Is that better?", I said out loud and forgot to use the signs. He smiled. I suddenly realized and signed what I had said.

'It's alright, madam. I can read your lips as long as you are not wearing the mask. And Will is good.', he signed with a gentle smile. He was pretty. I almost said that absurd thing. If I call him Will, it would sound weird if he calls me madam.

'Please address me as Petra.', I said.

'Sure, Petra. See you tomorrow. I come here every day to give the kids food. I am their cook.', he said proudly.

'Good thing, see you tomorrow, Will.', I said smiling. He left. The student who was late to class came to me.

"Madam, I hope you remember my name. I'm--"

"You're the latecomer, James."

"Yes, madam", he said happily.

"Do you have anything to ask?"

"No, madam. I just had to confess something. I'm a big fan of yours."

"I'm sorry? Could you please elaborate?"

"I follow you at NSTAGRAM."

"Oh... But I don't travel anymore."

"But still. I always wanted to meet you."

"Oh...", I said. Honestly, I didn't know how to react. So, I kept my reactions low. Since we were talking aloud, my expression was dead.

"Would you like to grab a coffee?", he asked.

"No."

"Why?"

"Are you asking me out just for a coffee?", I asked.

"No...", he said smiling. "I wanted to get to know you."

"So, you wanna go on a date?", I asked getting annoyed.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Look, sir. We just met an hour ago. And you are asking me out on a date. That makes no sense."

"Why not? Am I not your style?"

"I'm not into handsome faces.", I said with my dead face.

He was stunned. "Did you just compliment me?"

"It's not like you don't know. I don't like the way things are going. So, let's pretend we didn't have this conversation."

"But--"

"If you want to be my student then, you must stop. Or else you are out of my class.", I said and walked away. While walking home I realized that I was rude to the new student. But I don't care. He was annoying.