2

“I could not tell you if I loved you the first moment I saw you, or if it was the second or third or fourth. But I remember the first moment I looked at you walking toward me and realized that somehow the rest of the world seemed to vanish when I was with you.”

He stopped a passing cigarette girl and asked, “What is his name?... The boy,”

“Taehyung,” she told him. “You like him?”

“Yes.”

“A lot of people like him.”

He asked if after the performance she could call him and tell him someone would like to speak to him. “I will be at the serving bar. But he doesn't have to come if he doesn't want to. You let him know that.”

Then he waited.

It wasn't long after the last song but somehow it was too long and lengthy for Seokjin who was anticipating and wondering if ever the Taehyung boy would appear when the boy came out of what Seokjin could tell was backstage. He slightly nodded at the previous singer with a dazzling rectangular smile before approaching where Seokjin was. He was out of that tailored suit but now settled to a comfy green shirt with flowers printed on it and brown trousers.

“Who are you?” he demanded lightly.

Seokjin did not allow himself to be startled. He offered his hand and then his name.

“What does a soldier want with me?”

“I just wanted to tell you how lovely you were on the stage and how perfectly lovely was your voice…” he waited for a response that never came and made him feel so stupid.

“I-... I’m sorry… It was nothing really important… I only wanted to tell you that,” Seokjin stuttered from embarrassment and he could feel his ears burning up all over.

He already wanted to leave.

“I’ve never seen you before,” Taehyung said quietly, “have you always been here?”

“No I am just passing through, will go soon”

“Passing through where?”

“The front… back to war.”

“Why would anyone want to go there?”

“It's an honor, is it not?” Then, when Taehyung turned away from him. “Have I offended you?”

“No. But I don't like the war.”

“I am sorry, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your wonderful performance,” then he bowed politely, “I’ll leave now,”

It was a terrible embarrassment as he left like that, feeling foolish and his body was burning as he walked with his head hung low. Taehyung had been beautiful… performed a beautiful performance. He had a deep masculine voice but Seokjin was sure the other couldn't be any more than twenty. Yet he had talked with such dissatisfaction and distaste. Foolish! Foolish Seokjin! Why did he even approach him in the first place?

“There are things you do sometimes, actions that you take by obeying sudden impulses, without stopping for even a fraction of a second to think, and then you spend the rest of your life either lamenting it or thanking yourself for it. They are rare, unique, and perfect moments.”

“Soldier!...”

Stopped at the entrance, hand freezed on the door as he turned his head.