offers

"Bullshit,"

Evelyn covered her mouth with her napkin and giggled quietly to herself. Noah, her older brother, was looking at her incredulously, his green eyes wide. They shared those eyes, their father's eyes. Noah looked more like their father, tall and broad. They shared the same cheekbones, nose, and brows. Their mother would often say that Noah was merely a clone of their father. Not only did they look exactly alike, but Noah also inherited his personality. They both commanded rooms when they walked in, each a natural-born leader. Noah used this to start his own company at the age of 23. Within four years, it had become an international multimillion-dollar company. Noah was a strong, firm, but compassionate CEO. He made sure that his employees were fairly compensated with benefits. Positions in the company were coveted. She smiled to herself; their parents would be so proud of the man he's become.

Evelyn was more like her mother, both in looks and personality. She was small, just barely five foot two, with wavy dark hair. High cheekbones set in a heart-shaped face, slender nose, full lips. Where her father and brother were stubborn and loud, Evelyn was quiet and reserved. Soft-spoken and slow to anger.

"I swear to you, Noah, it happened."

He took another bite of his steak, chewing slowly, contemplating her story. It was quiet at their table for a moment. He swallowed and leaned forward again, resting his chin in his hand. "You actually saved Steve Rogers, Captain fucking America's life."

She shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant. "I'd hardly call it saving the man's life. He had a pretty nasty cut above his eye and a wicked concussion. I stitched him up and he left. He desperately needed a hospital, imaging, and pain medication. Even with his healing capabilities, he was really hurt. There was only so much I could do."

"Not to mention the bullet wound," Noah added, "imagine what would have happened if you hadn't been there, walking down that street. Add in the fact that he was alone, it could have been a very different situation."

"I just hope he's okay, there was only so much I could do with what I had. I've been keeping an eye on the news, but there's been no word about the Avengers. It's almost been too quiet," she sipped her wine. It had been three weeks, five days, and nine hours since Captain Rogers had unceremoniously dropped into her life. Not that she'd been counting. Nope, not at all. She'd neither seen nor heard from the Avenger since he'd walked out of her apartment and into the night. She hadn't expected anything but she was still worried. Without the proper antibiotics, he ran the risk of infection.

She shook her head, trying to dislodge the man from her mind.

"Enough about that," Evelyn ended the discussion on Captain America. She took another bite out of her chicken alfredo and suppressed a moan. "I swear this gets better every time we come here."

Noah barked a laugh. "Little sister, you are a creature of habit. You get the same thing every time. Are you sure you don't want to try something new?"

Her jaw dropped in horror. "And not have this delicious, creamy goodness? Dear brother, this is what I look forward to most about our visits."

"What about me?" His lips turned downward in a joking frown.

"You come a close second,"

"We only see each other once every few months," he scoffed, "and you're more excited about the damn pasta. You could've taken the residency in New York and then we could have lunch like this every day."

His face said he was joking, the tone of his voice was light and teasing, but she still felt like he'd slapped her. Being only eighteen months apart, they'd been near inseparable growing up. He was her best friend, her other half. He knew her better than she knew herself most days. They'd only been separated when he'd left for college. She was still a junior in high school and would have to finish the rest of her school years by herself. She'd put on a brave face though; she knew that Noah was destined for more than their little town could offer.