Chapter 8 - The Guidance Team

Immediately one Kevin and Tessa stepped inside the elevator, spotlights adorning the ceiling turned on. Momentarily, they seemed like the brightest lights Kevin had ever experienced. He could hear Tessa fumbling with a few buttons while he concealed his eyes with his arms. Once his eyes had adjusted, he realised that the walls were mirrors. He looked down to avoid his glaring imperfections which were emphasised by the distortions of the battered mirrors, only to realise that the floor was also reflective.

"What are you hiding from?", Tessa asked.

"The lights, the mirrors. I don't like them", he confessed, in a daze.

"The lights? Oh, you mean the screen up there?", she pointed upwards, and Kevin looked up. Obviously not what I meant.

Above the door perched a television which initially depicted a bright white screen featuring a spinning logo. The logo sped up faster until a familiar android appeared, who began to speak with a London accent.

"MEPHRA Industries. Building homes and helping the needy. Granting you the opportunity of a fulfilling life and future employment. Here at Arumlily, you will be cared for as we set you on the proper path towards a better future. For you, for us, and for the good of the Market!".

"The Market", Kevin uttered silently to himself, half-hoping Tessa would comment.

She did, "Ignore that part", was all she said, "We're obligated to". Aye, sure.

The video continued, but the trek upstairs ended abruptly despite the slow pace of the elevator. After moments of corporate jargon, the android ceased her message with the company's motto: 'MEPHRA: Cooperation is Salvation' and smiled before the screen and the spotlights switched off.

The doors finally opened and the pair found themselves in a long, wide corridor. Rooms at either side were either closed or open, the latter of which revealed abandoned offices and empty rooms with broken shelves. At the end of the corridor, two more corridors stretched onwards for a while in the opposite directions. As the pair walked, Kevin noticed that many of the shops were boarded up. Some had the signs and plaques of old-fashioned and forgotten businesses. On the left-hand corridor, Kevin could see a chippy, a florist, and at the end of the corridor was a gym with no doors – the inside was scattered with broken equipment, torn wires, and shredded cardboard boxes. Kevin pondered on whether or not he had stepped into a post-apocalyptic movie. As he stared into the gym, a wire sent out sparks, illuminating the room enough for Kevin to identify a life-sized alien statue in the middle of the room every few seconds. Tessa had stopped walking, being further down the corridor on the right, tapping her foot impatiently. He jogged down to catch up to her, his wrists aching with every step.

They walked down the corridor and turned to enter another with glass windows across the left side. Outside, he could see the sprawling forest which Tessa had driven through, and the innumerable quantities of grey vehicles in the flat terrain. There was more of them than he thought. Tessa paused to adjust her shoe and noticed him gawking at the vehicles. "You've nothing to fear from them. I'm sure you're going to be a good boy, I hope?", she urged. What if they decide I'm not? Whatever this village provided him, there was no doubt that the price was complete compliance and obedience to their rules.

As Kevin took a step forwards towards the windows, to prove to himself that he was unafraid, he recognised the corridor as being one of the bridges connecting the several buildings together to compose the superstructure. Tessa walked further down while Kevin gazed out of the window, pondering the history of the place. Kevin reluctantly followed her once she called for him. If that building was supposed to be a shopping centre, what's up next?