// Minho's Elimination \\

Summary: After Minho is eliminated by JYP, Jiyoung comforts him... and Chan.

+ Y'all, grab your tissues; the waterworks will start up +

Italics - English dialogue

::::::::: STRAY KIDS :::::::::

Jiyoung wanted to do nothing but scream, cry, and maybe punch one of the lights on the stage after JYP's evaluation.

Actually, screaming and crying would be better, less painful and less expensive...

Everyone knew that there was a good chance that one of them could be eliminated. They just weren't expecting anyone to actually be eliminated.

JYP had eliminated Minho, who had accidentally mixed up his lyrics during his team's performance.

While Jiyoung knew that any idol should be able to remember their lyrics, she knew wholeheartedly that Minho had made an honest mistake. He was human; it was only natural for him.

But now everyone was upset. Stray Kids wouldn't be debuting as 9, which was the ultimate goal they'd hoped for.

Jiyoung seemed to be lost in her own thoughts as the boys gave Minho hugs, some being teary-eyed when saying goodbye. What broke her out of her little daze was Minho approaching her, his head hung low in shame.

"I'm sorry, noona. I'm so sorry that I disappointed you... and that I failed."

Jiyoung tilted the dancer's head up when she placed three fingers underneath his chin. She could see the unshed tears swimming in his eyes.

"Lee Minho, don't you dare apologize for this. You didn't disappoint me; you could never do such a thing. And if you think for a second that you failed, then you're lying to yourself. You did not fail, okay? You didn't fail... you just made a mistake. Minho, it's okay to make mistakes; that's what makes us human. If anything, PD-nim failed to see that and unfairly eliminated you over something accidental. Don't let his criticism affect your confidence in yourself and your abilities — you are an incredibly talented person and no one can ever tell you otherwise."

Jiyoung didn't realize that she had everyone's attention from her speech, but she couldn't be bothered. She was too busy talking to her dongsaeng.

"I'm always here if you want to talk or just hang out, okay? No matter what, noona will always be here for you. Now, I want you to walk out of here with your head held high, because you need to know that you did your best work... and that we are all proud of you, Minho."

The third eldest couldn't hold it in anymore. Invited into his noona's embrace, he quietly cried into her shoulder. He was so grateful for Jiyoung's advice and for her offer; it was exactly what he needed to hear right now, despite the aching pain in his heart continuously growing.

"I'm going to miss you so much, noona," he hiccuped brokenly.

Jiyoung let a few silent tears fall down her face, indicating that her attempt to be strong for the eliminated male was rapidly failing. "Noona will miss you so much more, Minho."

After somewhat pulling himself together, Minho sadly detached from Jiyoung and bid one final goodbye to the remaining members of Stray Kids.

Watching his retreating figure walk out of the room, Jiyoung wiped at her eyes when she felt Chan's hand rest on her shoulder. "I'll be fine, Chan. I'm just sad that we're not all going to debut together."

The leader bit down on his lip. "I can't help feeling like I failed him somehow."

"Chris, you didn't fail anyone. I know you, and I know that you're putting the blame on your shoulders when you shouldn't. What happened wasn't your fault; you know it and I know it. You're an excellent leader, and an even better friend. We're all very lucky to have you as our leader... even if we don't say it, we all feel that way," Jiyoung said in English.

Chan sniffled with a small smile playing on his lips, wrapping his arms around Jiyoung in a hug. "Thank you, Jiyoungie. You always know just what to say."

"You're welcome, Chris. All I did was just tell you the truth."

::::::::: STRAY KIDS :::::::::

Published: 9/09/2021
Re-uploaded:  4/09/2023

692 words