The New Engine

Tidmouth was in need of a new pilot. The tender engine, although get their own train ready, don't help at all. Since they get their own trains ready, this lead to dis-organized sightings, some trucks or coaches blocking the points at some places, and some delays. The Fat Controller was looking at the engines available, but they were all in leash of the other railway, or were diesels, which the big engines probably not approved of after the incident with Diesel and Duck. He then stumbled up on a recently withdrawn engine. It was an LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T. It was small enough for shunting, and big enough for occasional goods and local work. He then traveled to the mainland, and found him in a sighting. He was black, had the British Railways Crest on his tanks, and had the numbers 41241 on his bunker.

 He was black, had the British Railways Crest on his tanks, and had the numbers 41241 on his bunker

"Hello," said the Fat Controller, "My name is Sir Topham Hatt. Would you like to come work on my railway?" The engine smiled, "Yes sir, please sir!" "Very well, do you have a name?" "Arthur sir." "Very well Arthur. Now, let's get you steamed up."

Soon, Arthur was steamed up, and arrived at Tidmouth. There, he rested in the sheds, and the other engines were impressed. "He's a large engine," said Gordon. "This, is Arthur," said the Fat Controller, "He is to help shunt in the yards here, and help with local trains on the mainline. Now, Arthur, what colors would you like to be painted in?" Arthur thought for a minute, and said, "I would like to be painted in LMS Maroon. I was built after the merging, so I was always painted in boring black. I would also like to have the LMS logo on my tanks. May I also keep my service number please?" "You shall," said the Fat Controller. The arrangements were made, and Arthur was painted in the color he wanted.

 The arrangements were made, and Arthur was painted in the color he wanted

Soon, Arthur was put to work. To help out, Thomas and Percy were called to help Arthur. "Hello Arthur," said Thomas, "Nice to meet you." "You too," said Arthur, "I've always wanted to see this railway when I heard about it." "Now, Thomas and Percy," said the Fat Controller, "I want you to help Arthur with the yard, and show him what to do. Now Arthur, I want you to learn this well. You do have a spotless record after all." "What's a spotless record?" asked Percy. "It means he's never had a crash, or been naughty," said Thomas.

Soon, Thomas and Percy showed Arthur what to do. He shunted truck in their proper sightings, and the coaches were put at their proper platforms. Soon, Thomas and Percy were playing with trucks. They knew it was naughty, but it was also fun. "Join in Arthur!" said Thomas. "No thank you," said Arthur. He then went about the yard, making sure there were no trucks laying around, blocking anything.

Meanwhile, Percy bumped a truck a bit hard, and it rolled away, towards the mainline. Arthur saw this, and heard Gordon coming down the line with the express! He then raced off to get the truck. Gordon came into view, and saw the truck heading towards him!! Arthur blew his whistle, and got in front of the truck, and quickly reversed. He hurried down towards the yard, with Gordon applying his brakes. Arthur closed his eyes, and waited for the crash......... but it never came. He opened his eyes, to see Gordon had stopped right at the platform, and he had managed to put the truck with the rest. "HOORAY!!!" said Thomas, "HOORAY FOR ARTHUR!!!" Soon, the workmen and engine cheered for Arthur. He felt his boiler would burst with joy.

That night, the Fat Controller came, and said, "Well done Arthur. You have proved today, that you are a really useful engine." Arthur felt proud of himself.