7 | divide

It was bittersweet, Newt grabbing me and looking so seriously into my eyes. On one hand, I loved the attention. On the other, I felt too vulnerable - he was so close to me and so determined to make sure I heard him, I felt like whatever bubble of personal space I had was ripped away.

Not that I minded it being Newt in my space- of course, he was the one I'd most want to be here.

I'm hard to understand, I judged myself. I like my personal space, but there are specific excuses to that rule of mine, aren't there? I wonder why I'm so close to Newt already. Perhaps I really did know him before this Maze.

"Newt, Y/N, time to check your work," Zart's voice rang through the garden. The ginger stumbled over to us, careful not to kick the plants around his feet. Newt and I got to our feet, leaning against each other for support. Zart leaned casually against his own hands atop his sides, squinting at the sunlight as he looked over the tomato plants.

"Nice goin', I think. Those weed beds are looking good, Y/N; and Newt— the tomato plants look happier," Zart assessed, reaching out to grasp one of the tomatoes gently.

"Happier?" I asked him in a muttered tone, more confused than curious.

Zart shrugged. "I dunno. Gardening's all about knowing the crop, you know? And these guys, they look happy."

"You've got a green thumb," I nodded at Newt, happy to see him already succeeding. It wasn't at all the excitement of the Maze he was used to before, being a Runner, but maybe a slow-paced, peaceful job was what he needed. Less stress.

"Gally's waitin' for ya at the Builder's blocks," Zart sent us a mockingly pitiful look. "Good luck with that crew."

"We're not staying?" I questioned again, looking down at my basket of weeds. There were still plenty to be picked, and Newt was obviously excelling with the plants.

"Glade rules," Newt said with a hint of disappointment. "Got'ta try every job before you pick."

I wrinkled my nose, but decided not to complain. "At least we're doing it together."

Zart's face, though he tried to cover it, still showed a tiny bit of amusement at my statement. Anyone who wasn't trying to notice the difference in expression would have missed it, but I saw when Zart raised his brows just slightly at Newt, a smirk tugging at the ginger's lips.

"Right then," Newt cleared his throat, holding out his hand to me, "ready?"

We bid Zart a goodbye and started walking to the Builder's block, an area near the woods filled with work benches and make-shift tools. Gally was waiting for us, sitting on a bench, his arms crossed and his eyebrows already pointedly arched.

"No, absolutely not," he grunted, staring disapprovingly at Newt. "You two ain't Builders."

"Hi Gally, we're doing good today, thanks for asking." My reply was dripping in mock kindness. Beside me, Newt held back a proud smile.

"Yeah, whatever, greenie," Gally shot back, jumping up from the work bench and narrowing his eyes at me. "Newt's leg still ain't gonna do him any good out here." His attention shifted to Newt as he clenched his jaw. "I'm doing you a favor."

"Maybe he's right," I mumbled to Newt, bumping his arm with mine.

"I am right," Gally growled, clearly hearing my whispers to Newt. I scowled at him and continued more positively to Newt, "You know, you've been on your feet all day. A break would be good for you."

"I don't need a break," the blonde boy tried to argue with me, but Gally didn't let him finish.

"Not that I'll do this often, but I agree with the girl," Gally said sternly, posing with his hands on his belt loops.