~78~

James was back at Hogwarts the next day which was a relief to the Gryffindor team

James was back at Hogwarts the next day which was a relief to the Gryffindor team. It had gotten colder and the sun had started to set earlier.

Asteria was sat at the Gryffindor table one dinner in the Great Hall. The two sat beside each other at the wooden table.

"Could you pass the jam please?" James asked Asteria. She nodded before reaching over and grabbing the strawberry jam. "Thanks," He said as she handed him the jar.

He then leaned over and pressed his lips against her cheek. He realised and everyone around them froze still. The messy haired boy quickly pulled away and looked down at his toast.

"Did you see that?" Marlene asked with wide eyes. "What is happening!" Sirius exclaimed loudly. Remus didn't seemed to bothered and continued eating his breakfast. "Moony, aren't you more shocked?" Sirius asked him.

"Oh my. I'm so shocked." He replied in a monotone voice. Marlene let out a dramatic gasp. "He knew!" She shouted. "Moony! How could you?" The Gryffindor beside him dramatically exclaimed.

Asteria was chuckled slightly to herself until she glanced over at Regulus who looked down at the table. She watched as he got up from his seat and left the hall.

Asteria went to get up but James placed his hand on hers. "Asteria," He softly said. "I've got to talk to him." She replied back which made him nod and her get up.

She left the hall and began hurrying down the hallway to catch up with him. "Regulus," She called out which made him stop but he continued facing away from her.

Asteria caught up with him. Suddenly, he spun around and wrapped his arms around her. His eyes were red and glassy as he hugged her tightly. "Reg, what's wrong?" She asked him.

"I'm sorry. I'm being an absolute prick." He answered with a trembling voice. "I mean, I can't argue with that." The Hufflepuff told him.

Regulus' arms fell back to his side as he stepped back. "You love him, don't you?" He asked, his cheeks bright red. She slowly nodded. "But I also love you. Even if sometimes you're a prick." She replied.

"I love you too." He said as he wrapped his arms around her again. "I'm sorry. I don't want to lose you again." He whispered in her ear.

"Look! Black is crying in the blood-traitors arms!" They both turned around to see a smirking Snape, his hair as greasy as ever.

"Just fuck off Snape!" Regulus shouted at him which made him scoff. "Oh look. The little boy is talking without the help of his mummy." Snape mocked.

Asteria's jaw clenched as she reached out and grabbed his cloak tightly. "What are you going to do?" He asked with a scared laugh. "Tell her Regulus. Tell here what you did this summer." The Slytherin hissed.

Her gripped on him loosened as she turned around to look at Regulus who was staring at the floor. "What is he talking about?" She asked him but he didn't reply.

"Reg?" He stayed silent. "Regulus Arcturus Black! Tell me what you did!" She ordered as she stormed over to him. The hallways began silent.

Asteria stared at him for a few moments as her eyes began to widen with realisation. She grabbed his sleeves and pulled them up, revealing the dark mark which stood out against his pale skin.

"No, no, no, no," Asteria repeated as she slowly backed away. "You finally did it. You fell into their trap." She told him as she looked up at his face.

Her eyes began to sting as she shook her head slowly and began to walk away. "Asteria, I'm-" She cut his off. "No. Don't apologise to me. Apologise to yourself first." She told him as she walked away.

Asteria grabbed the door handle to the nearest room and pulled it open. She then slammed the door of an old classroom.

Slowly, she slide down the door, gripping onto her hair as hot tears flooded from her eyes. She was sobbing so violently, she was gasping for air.

She then felt someone try to open the door so she moved out of the way. "Asteria, what happened?" James asked in a concerned voice.

"R-Regulus, he... he did it." She stuttered, pausing a couple of times. "Did what?" The confused boy asked. "He got the m-mark."

Asteria then pushed herself up and began to pace pass the desks, her nails digging into her hands. "I should of been there to stop him. This is my fault." She told herself.

"Asteria, stop." James said softly but she ignored him. "Are you trying to say that if I was still there, I wouldn't of been able to stop him?" She asked him, tears falling from her dark eyes.

"Asteria! You need to stop blaming yourself for things that aren't your fault!" James frustratedly shouted at her.

Asteria paused for a moment. "B-but..." She fell to her knees, crying even more harder then before. James rushed over to her and scooped her up in his arms.

He had carried her up to the Gryffindor common room where he put her down in his bed for a nap.

-☘︎︎-

Asteria had been laying in James' bed for hours. Her nose was still runny, her head ached and she had gone pale.

She turned her head to look at the door when it clicked open. "Come on. It's dinner." James said softly. "I'm not hungry." Asteria replied.

"Fine. Then neither am I." He said as he sat down beside her on the bed. "I'm not leaving you alone." He added.

James then lifted his feet up onto the bed so the two were laying beside eachother. Asteria turned so that her head was resting on his chest.

James took her hand which was resting on the covers and picked it up being interlocking fingers. He then kissed her gently on the forehead. "I love you." He whispered softly. "I love you too."