Thirty

Saints are idiots who see hope in a deep well.

~

Nevin was a saint.

But even saints, do unholy things.

~SD

~

I was exhausted when I sat in the seat in the coffee shop across Nevin.

"Hey, Nev."

"Hi, Lovelle."

Usually, I would snap when someone would call me that. But I didn't lie to Gharette that night. Only saints are allowed to call me Lovelle. And no. I don't think you are a saint agent Wilmslow.

You see we hold high standards for saints. Be a virgin, help others, save a country, destroy an unpopular country. But no matter what a saint will have a shot of vodka. A saint will be cackling when someone cracks a cruel joke. A saint will do something wrong in their life.

The difference between saints and sinners is, saints change. Sinners do not.

Sinners are cowards afraid of change and happiness.

Saints are idiots who see hope in a deep well. They believe that at the bottom is water and not just cold stone that would smash their heads.

Nevin was a saint. Although, she was a bit shallow. But that wasn't her fault.

"Do you think this top suits you?" she looked at me with a tilted face and a doubtful expression.

I looked down at the t-shirt with the neighbourhood album on it and shrugged.

"I don't know. I just threw it on. It's cosy." I sipped the coffee, Nevin ordered for me. Bleh. Too much milk.

"I mean. It's pretty long and you are already short."

"I am not short."

"Yes, you are."

"Maybe you are just too tall."

Nevin laughed and sipped her drink. She was a stylish person. Feminine clothes, high heels, just enough to look nice but short enough to not look too tall, short yet styled hair and make up ready for a runway.

If I knew this lifestyle was making my best friend happy, I would have appreciated every thread on her tight and elegant dress.

But even though Nevin was a saint, she wasn't happy. And I didn't have the heart to tell her that.

"How have you been anyways?" Nevin asked with a genuine concern you only received after years and years of friendship.

"Well, it could be worse... Well, I mean I guess I'm great." I smiled back and Nevin blinked in surprise. Her face lit up and I just loved the way she looked like a child again when she nodded furiously with barely contained happiness.

"That's good. That is very, very good."

"And how have you been, Sugar?"

"Well... I met a guy-"

Nevin went on and ranted about some guy she met at her grandmother's restaurant. And how she met him in the hospital again, not knowing he was a new doctor there. Nevin went to the hospital a lot for checkups. She used to have problems with nutrition. I was there when she went in and out of the hospital. I sat with her grandma on those uncomfortable seats shaped for your ass (which never fucking helped anything). Nevin saved me when I was a teen. It was the first time I felt like a human. Worrying about a friend, I, until then, didn't know was a friend.