Chapter 2

"So, Dianne," Emzy said the next day as the three girls woke up - at four am.

"Yeah?" Dianne was still rubbing her eyes, she took the longest to wake up fully.

"So I was wondering–" Emzy was cut off by Evelyn.

"Ooh! Guys! Look at this boy!" Evelyn showed them a photo on Instagram. "He's in our class."

"That's Kevin Mendes," Dianne said in disgust.

"He's cute," Evelyn said.

"Oh my god, Evelyn," Dianne stared at her friend in dismay. "Don't tell me he's put you under a spell?"

"You can't blame me,"

No one could. Kevin had a charm that a few rare boys had. Sparkling white teeth, jet black hair, tan skin, and a figure that would take years to get.

"Well- I- don't be fooled! He's a jerk!" Dianne scrolled down.

"If we wanna be cool, one of us has to date him." Evelyn heard a ping. "And guess what! He's having a party tomorrow!"

"We're not going," Dianne said firmly.

"Uh, yes, we are."

"I don't really care whether we're going or not," Emzy said while munching on a sandwich.

"Isn't that sandwich stale?" Dianne asked.

"No, it's not," Emzy spoke, uncertain, she turned the sandwich over.

Dianne shook her head but continued, "Look, Evelyn, he's a jerk, he was in my class in fourth grade when the three of us got put in different classes."

Evelyn looked thoughtful. "It's not like he's going to be doing drugs or anything, we're all just fourteen-to-fifteen years of age. Most of them won't even dare."

"Kevin would."

"Well, who care-"

"I care." Dianne put her fist on the table and leaned forward. Evelyn and she were nose-to-nose, both with the hardest faces.

"This is shippable." Emzy looked at the two of them.

"We don't care!" The other two snapped.

"We're going," Evelyn said.

"Are - not." Dianne countered.

"Yes,"

"No,"

"Yes,"

"No,"

"What happened to being the cool kids?"

"Quiet kids can be cool too!"

"We're going!" Emzy said.

Dianne turned. "Who's side are you on?"

"Yours." Emzy then pulled back. "I mean Evelyn's. No, yours. Agh, I can't decide."

"Just try it out," Evelyn pushed more. "Seriously, he may have changed."

Dianne looked thoughtful. "Your point is strong... that he may have changed..."

"Well?" Emzy and Evelyn looked at her.

"Alright, we're going but-"

Emzy's phone rang.

"Gimme a minute, who's calling at four AM now?"

She picked up the phone. There was silence. Then she put it down.

"Prank call?"

"Right," Evelyn said. "I'm hungry, wanna make something to eat?"

Dianne was not only the strongest, emotionally, she was also the timidest and quiet sometimes. She didn't go back to what she was going to say earlier, being tired of the topic.