1

"𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐭"

~Haruki Murakami

¦¦

I stood on the cold, concrete floor of the stone balcony, barefoot, the early morning breeze swaying the bottom of the silk nightgown I was wearing.

Wisps of my brown hair, that had come loose through the night flowed with the breeze. I breathed in the fresh air, gazing across the many flower beds of the palace's garden.

The balcony faced a hidden-away garden space, not seen from outside or from many other rooms on the palace grounds. I had spent hours with the gardeners, picking out the perfect flowers to plant, creating my own space. It wasn't like my father or brother ever would consider coming out there. It was virtually all mine.

I shivered slightly, bringing my arms up to hug myself, rubbing my arms to warm up. The sky looked as if it was beckoning the black clouds, getting ready to storm upon us.

I took a last deep breath of the fresh air before turning on my heel and making my way through the wooden door to my bedroom.

I walked over to the ensuite, splashing water into my face from the running faucet to wake myself up. I looked at myself in the mirror. Examining the small curls of my hair to the speckled freckles dotted over my skin. A pale scar running from my seemingly faded green eye to my lips. A reminder of a sparing accident my brother and I had as kids.

Some days I missed those times. We would sneak out at night, play around in the weapons vault, that in hindsight should have had some kind of security.

The night of the accident was the last time we had been so close.

We were only young, foolish kids at the time.

It was a mistake, we both knew it but when our mother had discovered us there, she had banished my brother into his room, taking me straight into the hospital wing with my father.
I was lucky not to lose my eye, though I lost my close relationship with my brother.

I splashed my face with water once more, grabbing an embroidered flannel from my right, drying my face.

I undid my hair, letting it drop down in tangles before tying it back out the way again, making sure to catch all the hair in the band.

I glanced in the mirror once more before heading out into the bedroom again. Only seconds later, a light knocking to be hear from the other side of my door. I recognised the quiet sound from years of hearing it immediately.

"Come in, Catherine" I called, as the door softly pushed open to reveal the lady. She was my mother's royal maid however had become so much more to me. She was a mentor, a nurse, a caring mother figure but above all she was my friend.

I glanced at the windows, the early morning sky still showing.

"Morning, Miss Eris, I hope last night treated you well" She recited, curtseying in front of me.

"Indeed" I replied, smiling. "I hope everything is well with you and your family, you needn't come get me this early most mornings"

I had always made sure that my staff and there families were steady, though my father would always frown apon it.

"They are fine, Miss, it is your father who requires your presence at the meeting later today."

I listened carefully however the words had not sunk in.