3

"Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop." ~ H. L. Mencken

|¦|

Caspian started forward, wrapping his hand around my wrist. His thin fingers gripping tightly, not a care if his actions could harm me.

He tugged me roughly forward into the room, my reactions barely enough to stop myself tripping over the hem of my dress. He reached behind me with his free arm, grabbing the door and slamming it shut briskly.

Tugging me towards him even further he bent down slightly to my ear, his words sharp as if to slice through metal.

"Has anyone ever told you it's polite to knock, dear sister?"

His words could cut though stone, sending a chill into my bones. But it could not faze me as a tone I had come all too used to since our mothers passing.

I glared up at him, eyes sharp as flint, as if I was trying to pierce a hole through his skull.

My voice to match my face, sharpened, cold, aligning to match his demeanour.

"Has anyone told you it's impolite to attack another kingdoms guard, dear brother?"

His eyes widened, at the same time his nostrils flared. He had always struggled with handling his emotions. From rage, sadness and grief to any hint of positive emotion that could escape the closed shutters of his mind.

"Where on earth could you have gotten a ridiculous idea like that?" Caspian's teeth were glued together, his jaw clenched in anger. The bridge of his nose wrinkled as he spat out his words. "dear sister?"

"Caspian. Eris." My father's voice warned to us from across the room where he was silently watching.

I felt Caspian grip on my wrist loosen slightly, though our glares never left eachother.

I yanked my arm out from his grasp, holding it in the palm of my other hand, massaging out the red indents his grip left.

My father looked between us tirerdly before he dropped his gaze to my hands.
"You're bleeding, Eris" He stated simply, both men now looking at me.

"Yes." I replied, staring right back at him. "It appears I am."

"I don't doubt you cut it whilst you were out in the gardens again today, I hope you were not alone. Especially, with recent events, who knows if any attacks on us are being planned at this very second." Our father, sat down at his desk, relaxing into his essesivly large chair.

" No, I was not alone father. Xander accompanied me out on my wander. "
I stepped forward towards the large mahogany desk, the wooden painted with a honey like glaze.

Caspian stood up towards the desk beside me until we were both stood opposite my father.

He turned his head to look down at me. "Alone?"

I scoffed. "Why of course not, I just stated I was accompanied by Xander."

Caspian clicked his tounge and looked back at my father. "You know what I meant, dear sister"

I shook my head, looking at my father for help, by he merely glanced back at me.

"Caspian has a point, my dear. You two do spend an awful lot of time together. No doubt he feels some affection towards such a remarkable young lady such as you." He agreed with Caspian. What a supprise.

I heard a small knock on the door from behind us but did not turn around as I spoke back to my father.

"Why of course he feels affection towards, much as I do for him as friends. Friends father, am I no longer allowed such things?"