Chapter 1: Kamira

CHAPTER 1
Kamira

I twirled the wooden yellow pencil around my fingers, bored OUT OF MY MIND. I was in a writing class and we were learning about grammar. In high school. Why grammar?? I learned about that in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I did not need to relearn that in high school.
I look towards my friends, Ebba and Isaac. Ebba was a tall and gangly girl. She had pretty green eyes that stood out against her olive skin and had short brown hair. She always had the tendency to swing her hair over one shoulder and crack her neck right after. I always found it really gross.
Isaac was a super shy guy. He was tall and always wore a hoodie to school no matter what the weather was. He had long brown hair that hung over in his eyes, almost blocking out the brilliant shade of blue that his eyes were. Ebba and Isaac were my best friends since middle school. We are always talking during class.
Speaking of which, they seemed to be in a deep conversation right now. I took out my earbuds.
"What's going on?" I asked, my voice slightly scratchy from not speaking in a while.
"Oh," Ebba giggled. "We were just talking about how stupid the myth of Vantina was."
My attention perked at this. "What myth?" I asked, trying to keep my voice low. The teacher kept glancing our way, trying to catch us if we got too loud.
Ebba shared a glance with Isaac that seemed to say See? I told you she wasn't listening to us.
I bristled, ready to turn away, but I really did want to hear the myth.
"Long ago," Ebba started, in an overly dramatic voice. "There was a mistress called. Vantina that everyone feared and respected. This was in the time when there were kings and queens, so I'm guessing it was sometime in the early 1900's."
I roll my eyes. I'm not an anthropologist, but you don't have to be an Einstein to know that kings and queens were NOT in the 1900's. It was only 2050. Kings and queens were usually around in the 1600's.
"EARTH TO KAMIRA" Ebba said, obviously irritated that I wasn't listening to the story.
"Sorry," I said, quickly repositioning my seat. "I'm listening."
"Anyways," Ebba continued. "Vantina was known for her cruel and unusual experiments. Everyone called her a witch. She would take orphans or even unaccompanied children off the streets and haul them up to her tower. Nobody knew what she did up there, but they knew that her experiments would end up getting the children killed. Only one child escaped to tell the king what was happening. The king put Vantina on trial and found her guilty. Vantina was sentenced to be executed but right as she was walking to the gallows she was said to be whispering some sort of curse under her breath. And not like a swear word, but an actual curse, like a spell. Anyways, everyone is always saying that 400 years later, she would come back to avenge herself and finish her experiments."
Ebba sat back in her chair, obviously impressed with her storytelling talent. Isaac furrowed his brows.
"Why 400 years?" he asked. "I mean like don't these stories usually include like a thousand years or something?"
Ebba nodded her head enthusiastically. "They say she experimented on and killed 400 kids. So each year is for each kid."
I snorted. "You guys it doesn't even matter how long ago it was. It's a stupid story."
Right as I turn around to put my earbuds back in, I notice the door seems to be vibrating. "What the-?" I get cut off as a burst of darkness collides into the room, flipping my table on top of me. I watch in confusion as people scream and run around in panic. Then my vision goes black.

Sorry if this is really cringy but this is my first book so be nice.