Chapter 18: An Orca's Revenge

The doorway this time opened to Luka's chamber quietly, gracefully, and peacefully in the morning, but unlike before, the intent was pure.

It was opened by a person who was trying not to wake him, not take him, and he knew exactly who it was.

Pretending to keep his eye lids closed but now awake, he saw Calysa bring in a tray with a steaming mug of honey tea and buttered bread which she put at his bedside dresser.

She looked down at him and smiled, and she tucked his silver blanket tight to his bare and cold shoulder as she tucked her dark hair around her ear.

As she turned to quietly leave and let him sleep in peace, he touched her arm, not wanting her to leave his presence.

"Cali," he said to her, his eyes now open and smiling back.

She took a seat at the foot of his firm bed, and delightfully folded her arms which were beneath sky coloured silk pyjamas. "I tried not to wake you," She said to him through a morning smile, a smile which resembled a rising morning sun.

Luka shook his head, telling her not to worry. He sat up and took the hot mug in his hands, and sipped, thanking her for bringing him his breakfast as he nibbled on the sweet fruity bread.

The two sat in comforted silence for several moments, both just happy to have a moment of peace amidst the chaos. Luka realized it was what she was trying to accomplish by bringing him breakfast. It was no doubt something her mother Molixma did for her, and she for Molixma and her brother. Both now gone.

She just wanted to do something normal. To feel that her previous life of paradise and peace could still happen again one day, and could happen even during all the commotion. Her life of learning at school, lounging with friends, drinking at pubs, playing Viking.

And bringing the ones she cared for sweet meals.

As they sat there in his chamber together, Luka realized he hadn't talked to her privately about the trial. About his involvement of her people's siege. He sat straighter and cleared his throat.

"Calysa I..." He began, breaking through her peace, thinking back to Orconia City and his role in Lleyton's ambush. "Everything Julien accused me of, it's true. I plotted your people's genocide, how to detain everyone. I deserve to stand trial. Their blood is on my hands. Mikkael's blood, on my hands..."

While Luka thought he had a good heart, and put his life on the line for the Orca people more times than he could count, he learned a simple truth during his adventure east and constantly being betrayed by others, and making mistakes of his own. That good things do not undo the bad, nor do the bad undo the good.

Calysa looked to her feet, and to her own mug of tea. The leaves settling in at the bottom of her golden cup.

"I don't think Julien will continue the trial, not until Goddard returns with Maeve, or with good news, or both, but if he does, I need you to promise me you won't interfere," Luka said forcefully, not wanting any further divisions between the people because of him. When Goddard returned, they would need everyone to fight as one, against Solan and the Dark.

"Luka, I've known all along."

Luka looked into Calysa's eyes, stunned.

"But do you know who I saw running to try and collect those rifles from the fish at our Champion's Feast, before the Outlanders? Not the person who created the plan and wanted to fulfil it. I saw someone who created the plan and tried to put a stop to it. Who tried to right a wrong."

Luka blinked several times. She was indeed the caring and clever Calysa he always knew. While Eeva was eccentric and ethereal and shrouded in mystery, Calysa was as open a book as they came. As open as an Orca was supposed to be.