5 | Shadowflight | 5

Streampaw took a long time to come back

   Duskelle tried to make small talk with Nightstone, who was sitting just outside of the bramble thicket that she was in, but she didn't exactly participate actively.

   "Do you think they'll come soon?"

   "Uh-huh."

   "Why do you think that they're taking so long?"

   "Mmm-hmm"

   "Do you think that this cat is really River?"

   To that, she gave no answer. Duskelle quit talking and let the possibilities run through her mind. Could the cat be River? But River never would've left Duskelle, would she? As the thoughts raced through her brain, she heard a yowl and stuck her head out of the opening. 

       "I think Streampaw's back," Nightstone muttered. Sure enough, the young tom was trotting through the entrance, with another cat behind him. The cats crowding them made it too hard for her to see who the mystery cat was. Smelling didn't work either- Duskelle's nose was too clogged up with foreign cat scent to single out one in particular. 

      As more cats mingled, a voice called out, "Enough!" Minnowstar walked through the throng of cats towards Streampaw and the other cat, Frostmist at her side. As she strode through, Frostmist whispered something in a completely black cat's ear and he nodded, seeming slightly nervous. Before Duskelle could wonder why, he was dashing towards her and Nightstone. 

       Duskelle got up and stepped out of the "den" as they called it. The cat Frostmist had sent reached them, keeping a wide berth around Duskelle. He muttered something to Nightstone, who replied with, "Okay, Shadowflight," and raced away. He was an oddly jumpy and skittery cat, Duskelle thought as she titled her head slightly to watch him skid to a stop at the end of the group.

      "Come on," Nightstone said as she started to pad towards all the other cats. Duskelle trotted after her quickly, eager to prove to herself that Riverdawn was a stranger to her and leave the place.

       As they walked through, the mob of cats formed a trail in the middle, allowing the two to walk by. Finally, they reached the middle. Streampaw stepped out of the way. Familiar blue green eyes looked at her, wide in surprise. A light breeze rustled the soft gray tabby fur that she had curled up against many times. The well-known, sweet scent of hay with the slight tang of mouse invaded her nose.

     River, the cat she had thought would always be her friend, stood before her. River, the cat who had been her only real companion, stood before her. River, the cat who had betrayed her and broken her heart in every way possible, stood before her.

~~~

Before people jump to conclusions, this relationship is purely platonic. It's just River has been the only creature Duskelle could understand, speak with, be consoled by. She was her best and only friend. River knew everything about her position, yet she chose to leave. That's why she's heartbroken.