Two Broken, Intertwined Souls

THE BEGINNING,
Two Broken, Intertwined Souls

THE BEGINNING,Two Broken, Intertwined Souls

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

WHAT DOES THE world expect a girl to do when all of her family has been killed, and she's been left on this earth to rot all alone? How do they expect her to grieve, when all she's ever known is death for her entire existence? — One tragic loss after another, taking a piece of her heart each time it comes wreaking havoc through her life. She's been through the motions one too many times and has shed far too many tears for a girl with such promise. So gifted, so talented, yet so little holding her to this earth save for festering rage and one boy: Fushiguro Megumi, one of the two people left who knows who she really is beneath her power — a broken girl, full of sorrow and so much doubt, ready to leave peacefully (read: bloodily) whenever death finally comes for her.

These days, however, Megumi must admit even he doesn't quite know how to handle Ayame. This loss, the loss of Getō Suguru, is taking its toll on her harder than Megumi's ever seen. She hasn't spoken a word since the day she and Satoru returned home the night of the demon parade, a look of agony carved so clear across her features that Megumi nearly flinched when she met his eyes. Since then, she hasn't left her room very often — only when it's necessary, like when she cooks dinner for them all or to grab her takeout food Satoru or Megumi picked up on their way home.

She doesn't dare speak to or look them in the eyes anymore.

Megumi brought the topic up with Satoru once, after the nightmares started and Ayame began to scream the house awake every night until it suddenly became routine. He tried his best to be gentle about it because he knew Suguru meant a great deal to Satoru as well (even if he was better about hiding it under all that arrogance), but that didn't make Satoru's response any less vague or otherwise absentminded. He just told Megumi that it would go away at some time, that Ayame would stop having the nightmares and eventually would start talking again, too. Megumi wanted to press for more, wanted to ask what he could do to help Ayame get back to some version of who she used to be faster than this, but he refrained from pushing the subject.

Gojō Satoru is the definition of a man past his emotional limit, and the only person that seems to really care is, again, young Fushiguro Megumi. His makeshift family is just on the verge of drowning in their own rivers of sorrow, and Megumi's just trying his best to keep their heads above the surface all by himself. It's a very heavy weight to carry, but Megumi knows it's nothing compared to what Satoru is feeling, and even less compared to what Ayame is feeling. To lose the man she idolized, to take his soul into her own because she couldn't take the thought of having nothing left of him to cling to ...

Megumi knew nothing of her pain anymore. This, he knew to be a fact.

The boy himself never knew Suguru personally. By the time Megumi really joined the family, Suguru had left jujutsu society to be a curse user. He would sometimes see him in passing when he stopped by to pick up Ayame, but he never talked much with the shaman — just observed quietly as Ayame would morph her entire persona in Suguru's presence. Her guard would drop with ease, and her head would empty instantly of all thoughts except those to deal with the man himself. He held so much influence over her, even at such a young age, and yet no one ever seemed to mind.