Strategy

"So, as we all know," Nikki began, "Abbey is locked up in the scientist's compound. Said compound is somewhere in this area." She pointed to spot on the map Sheriff had on his wall.

Everyone nodded. Nikki, Zane, Elsie, and Sheriff had managed to put together a decent plan. Zhara, Doc (who'd shown up while Hector and Mater were messing with Red), Sarge (who'd arrived shortly before Doc), and Sally were listening attentively. Mater and Hector, since they'd been dripping wet, had been asked to wait outside. Everyone was silent. 

"First, we head to the first mountain of Cadillac Range. Last night, once we'd climbed down from there, we didn't pass any other mountains on our way to Radiator Springs. So, logically, that's where the compound most likely is.

"Next, we'll need to find a way up. No offense, but you cars don't seem to be natural mountain climbers. So the scientists probably have an elevator or something to get them up there. Once we've found that, it'll serve as our entrance and escape route."

"All due respect, miss," Sarge interrupted, "but those scientists are searching for you. Isn't going right to their HQ a bad idea?"

"Not if it's empty. That brings us to the third phase of our plan." Nikki pulled out a rock. She'd found it last night while walking through the desert, and was relieved that she'd kept it. "This rock is called flint. When struck with something sharp, it sends out sparks. I'll start a small trashcan fire in the compound to set off the smoke detectors. Once everyone's out, we should have free run of the place. Then, all we'll have to do is find Abbey, find any clue as to how to get home, and then run for our lives. Easy."

"I doubt it'll be that easy," Doc said under his breath. 

Nikki, standing closest to him, secretly agreed. But, so far, this was their best shot at saving Abbey and getting home. So, she was trying to be optimistic.

"Who all will be going to the compound?" Sheriff asked. 

"Me," Zane said, raising his hand.

"Me, too," Nikki added. "It's my plan, so I don't have a choice."

"Wrong," Elsie signed. "I came up with most of it. I'm coming." 

"If Elsie's going," Zhara spoke up, "then so am I." 

"You kids will need a little military assistance," Sarge butt in. "I'll go along."

"I don't like charging in somewhere without a warrant," Sheriff stated, "but I think I might be needed."

"I'm going too." This came from Sally. Everyone looked at her, the three other cars with mild surprise. She seemed a bit offended. "What? Those 'scientists' pulled six kids into another dimension and have been holding one of them captive for over twelve hours. I'm going to give them a piece of my mind."

"Happy to have you, Sally," Nikki thanked her. She looked, along with everyone else, at Doc. The Hudson Hornet looked a little uncomfortable. 

"I'm sorry," he finally said, "but I don't think I'd be that good at a rescue mission. I'll help in any way that I can, but I don't think I should go with you into the compound."

"Don't be sorry," Zhara told him, "we're asking for a pretty big favor here."

Nikki nodded, giving Doc a reassuring smile, then looked back at the battle plan that she and Elsie had drawn up. She'd feel much better if they had one more car to help...

She shook it off. Sometimes you just had to make do with what you had. "Okay," she told everyone. "We know what to do. Everyone take a few hours to get ready. We'll leave at noon. Two hours. Sound good?"