Sixteen

A lot of things will be happening in this chapter.

It will be hectic.

-

I could tell George was upset.

He walked around the room, getting himself ready for bed while I made the bed.

The silence was so loud, so uncomfortable.

"George—"

"Hmm?" He turned to look at me while pushing his shirt off his shoulders.

"Don't be mad at me, please."

"I'm not mad."

"Then you're upset... I don't know."

"Of course I'm upset, Dahlia!" He raised his voice at me and turned in my direction. "Why wouldn't I be? You've already made your mind up about this without us discussing it first."

"What is there to discuss?!"

He let out a chuckle, shaking his head.

"So you're just gonna go get an abortion?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Yes." I said. "But I don't want to do it in my own. I need you there with me."

He placed his hands on his hips, looking up at the ceiling while taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, George... but I really don't want this baby."

"Why? Don't use my age, don't use your own and don't use the children's ages. That is no reason to not have the baby."

I sighed.

"Do you even remember my last pregnancy? How terrible it was? I was in constant pain and when I gave birth, my blood pressure both rose and fell and I had a fever. We had to stay in the hospital for several days for observation and the moment we got home, Leah was kidnapped."

"So... you're scared that Leah is gonna get kidnapped again?"

Seriously?

"That is not the fucking point! The point is how painful and draining it was for me to be pregnant. Now I'm five years older and it's a high-risk pregnancy. I can't do that!"

"Okay, I get that but—"

"No, I really don't think you do." I laughed. "Otherwise you wouldn't try and talk me into keeping it."

George ran his hands into his hair.

"For Christ sake, Dahlia. Look at our children. They were all just fetuses at one point too, but look at them now. In a year, we could have a little new one. Our last one."

I stared at him as I teared up.

"Please stop." My voice was hoarse.

Don't cry.

"I love you, but I really can't do this."

"Dia..."

"I'm gonna book an appointment for an abortion." I said. "And I would really like it if you came with me."

He didn't say anything. He turned to walk into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him.

I went to bed.

George stayed in the bathroom for so long. He was probably avoiding me.

I cried myself to sleep. I just wanted him to understand, to support that I really didn't want another baby, but apparently he didn't.