Chapter (3)

But then, a few hours later, I got news that Evelyn had to fly out to Rome for a photoshoot with Italian. Something about the photographer being only available the next day.

That's when I got the call from Evelyn.

"Evelyn?' I answered.

"I have to go to Rome. Tonight." she whispered. I can hear a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"It's alright, we'll reschedule."

"Yes, we'll have to."

"Just let me know what's suitable when you have the time."

"I will," Evelyn paused, "Kit, I—"

"No explanations needed," I assured her. "I'll see you soon, and I hope you had fun at the photoshoot tomorrow."

"Thank you," Evelyn said genuinely before ending the call.

But then, I did something unexpected. I wasn't going to let the chance to spend time with her.

I picked up the phone and called her driver.

The shock on Evelyn's face is worth a million bucks when she climbed into her town car and saw me inside.

"Hi- I figured you might appreciate some wine and company during your long ride to the airport," I said as I reached over and grabbed a bottle of Pinot Noir from my bag and two glasses.

Evelyn was silent as she watched me making the quick work of opening the bottle, lifting the cork swiftly out and moving to pour two glasses.

I glanced up and caught her gaze.

"I was quite the waitress once upon a time," I smirked.

"I have no doubt. It is just a wonder to me that the only heir of Sunset and Disney Empire ever has to do service work....," Evelyn sassed, "And.. you really should let that breathe."

"You are more than welcome to let yours breathe in the glass," I smirked as I passed the glass to Evelyn. I refused to take the bait on her heir comment. My life is my own and I had wanted to earn my own money when I was in high school. It had annoyed and angered my father to no ends.

Evelyn eyed me carefully as she reached to accept the proffered glass.

"I'm sorry for bribing your driver and hijacking your car," I said, as I lifted the Pinot to my lips in an attempt to hide my obvious grin.

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "You are aware that apologies are more effective if you look like you mean them, Kit."

"You may have a point there."

"Yes, but what is your point?" she said, waving her arm around, indicating to the inside of the vehicle.

"Oh, no point really. I saw an opportunity and I took it."

"You created an opportunity and roped my driver into your scheme," Evelyn corrected.

"That's probably more accurate, yes," I smiled.

And...that is how the car rides got started.

Next thing I knew I was sharing a glass of wine Evelyn when she goes home from shooting "Father & Daughter".

We talked about various range of topics- from films to politics. And, those 15 minutes in the car ride with her were the highlights of my winter break.

Then, my last day at "Father & Daughter" arrived. I was leaving to Harvard the next day.

The idea of not being able to do the car rides with Evelyn made me feel a little bereft. Riding in town cars with Evelyn had somehow become a part of my routine at least 3 times a week. Sometimes more.