Chapter 18 - Elizabeth's Return

michael

I couldn't stand my sister's queasy voice anymore asking me how many minutes were left before our mom got home. It was already past six in the morning, the hand clock in the living room was reading 6:31, and no Elizabeth Port was coming home. Every time I even blinked my eyes, Billie was already going to ask me if Mom had arrived. "No" was always the answer.

I was watching some kind of game that stupid adults played on national TV, it was an embarrassing thing, but it was the only thing that was available and free to watch on my TV channel package. It was a show called Money Earned, in which the sharp, wig-wearing presenter named Ralph Walker would invite a couple who didn't have enough budget to "realize their dreams." Silly, I know, but it was kind of funny to see the couple getting the questions that were so easy to answer wrong.

Today's couple was a man named Sergio Ortiz and a woman named Kathleen Anderson. The two wanted money to be able to afford a super famous college for their daughter. It was sad to see them missing an answer so obvious that it could even be compared to "one plus one equals two". They must err on purpose only to receive later. Televisions always lie, you bet.

Anyway, days here in town used to always be cooler in the mornings, but for some reason it's a little warm today. I got a message on my cell phone while I took off the sweatshirt I was wearing, sitting on the sofa in the living room.

It was my mother.

Mom 6:33

Hi sweetheart! How are you?

Michael 6:33

Hi Mom! I'm fine and you? Why haven't you made it this far? Billie and I are worried about you.

Mom 6:34

I'm sorry, but it's because it was after midnight when the bus started up again. The driver, he... anyway, I had to rent a hotel room for just one night before I got home.

Michael 6:34

Wait, what happened to the driver?

Mom 6:34

It doesn't matter now. The fact is, I didn't want to have to get home and tell you to go to bed, so I'm leaving today... later. I'm already on the bus, and it was even easier for me to walk because I'm already in town. Anyway, I'm coming soon. See you later, darling.

Michael 6:35

Bye mom.

I locked my cell phone screen, thinking about what must have happened to my mom's bus driver. Something horrible, I know, because she didn't even want to tell what.

I had just got up from the couch and turned off the TV, heading towards the stairs that led to the second floor, Billie was upstairs in her bedroom. She must probably be drawing or something, she usually does that every now and then while she thinks about our mom. It's sad, of course, but that's how she feels comfortable. Maybe the design is for our mother, maybe...

I had already climbed the stairs when I reached the hallway already being greeted by music at full volume coming from Billie's room. It was a Lo-fi Hip-hop style of music, she used to listen to that kind of music to draw, but I've just gotten used to them and I also use them for similar things, it helps to concentrate.