CHAPTER 21 | into the lion's den

Hotel Sofitel, Montreal, Canada 7:55 P.M.

Parker arrived at the hotel bar just before eight that evening. She ordered a vodka and orange to calm her nerves. Careful to look as though she belonged there, she took a stool at the bar and looked around the room. As per the previous evening, it was full of hotel patrons and local business people congregating after work.

She was mentally exhausted after Daniel's insistence on repeating every aspect of the plan more times than she cared to remember. She had started out confident that her idea would work, but Daniel had bombarded her with every possible scenario to the point where she was filled with self-doubt. Could she pull this off after all?

A young couple was sitting in a secluded part of the bar, locked in a lover's embrace. Her thoughts drifted to Daniel, and their kiss at the lake. She should have been angry at herself—or him. But, no, they were both adults. She knew what he was, who he was. She knew it was impossible for anything to develop between them.

The fact that I've managed to get myself emotionally involved is irrelevant. We are friends and associates. He just happens to be a talented kisser. Very talented.

She was shocked out of her internal debate when an arm snaked around her middle.

Matheo took a seat beside her at the bar, dressed in similar attire as the previous evening. "Bella, I was hoping you would be here."

Despite her churning stomach, she plastered a false smile on her face. "I wasn't sure if you would turn up."

He leaned in, took her hand, and brought it to his lips. "What sort of man would I be if I let down a beautiful woman?"

Her pulse raced, and a wave of claustrophobia washed over her. God, give me strength.

"What a gentleman." She extracted her hand from his and resisted the urge to run for the nearest exit. "I don't think we were formally introduced last night."

Matheo raked his eyes up and down her body. "Sadly, Bella, you left before we had a chance to become properly acquainted."

The word properly rolled off his tongue, and his accent enhanced his meaning. She shuddered.

Matheo smirked. "Matheo Bernard, at your service."

She grimaced as he leaned in closer. Heat radiated off his naturally warmer body. The closer he moved, the more her stomach churned, and her inner self rebelled. She concentrated on forcing her erratic pulse and panic under control. The bartender chose that moment to bring her order. Before Matheo could take her hand in his again, she grabbed the drink and put a little distance between them.

"Patricia Smith." She raised her glass to him. "Pleased to meet you." She took a sip before her mouth uttered any of the unflattering words ready to spill out. "So where does your accent come from? It's so sexy."

Even though her gag reflexes were working overtime, a measure of satisfaction rushed through her. She had actually made it sound like she was interested in him.

He reached for his glass, and she was relieved when he tore his gaze away from her and focused on the Southern Comfort. "I was born in Italy, but I have been living in France for quite some time now. And you, Bella?"

She crossed and uncrossed her legs. She was sure she had broken out in a cold sweat. Daniel had her studying a map all afternoon so, if need be, she could answer basic geography questions. "Chicago in the good old U.S. of A. What brings you to Canada?"

Matheo shrugged. "Business." He placed his glass on the bar and leaned closer to her. "But I do not wish to talk business. I wish to get to know you much better, Bella."