Chapter 22

Lovesbitca8 TAKES CREDIT THIS IS HER WORK - FOUND ON AO3

All of us.

Hermione heard her heartbeat drum in her ears.

Bellatrix. She was going to see Bellatrix again.

"Father." She heard Draco's voice from far away. "You can't possibly be suggesting—"

"Am I in the habit of making 'suggestions,' Draco?"

Silence.

Lucius rolled his shoulders — the smallest of movements. "The Dark Lord has observed that your aunt and I seem... somewhat strained. Appearances must be maintained. Your aunt and uncle have invited us to dinner, and they insisted that Miss Granger be included."

Lucius turned his cold eyes on Hermione where she sat askew on the chaise, her chest still pounding.

Draco shifted behind her. "Surely there's an excuse that can be made—"

"Your mother and I have this under control. All four of us will be attending, and I expect you both to be on your best behavior." Lucius looked from Draco to Hermione, his gaze catching on her rumpled top and mussed hair. She felt her face heat as he studied her, his lip curling in amusement. "Well? Don't you two have Occlumency to be practicing?"

Hermione blinked, then scrambled off the couch. She nearly collided with Draco as she rushed to the door, her mind racing with visions of sharp knives and echoes of cackling laughter —

"Miss Granger," Lucius drawled. "A word?"

Her hand froze on the doorknob. She turned slowly, seeing Draco do the same behind her.

Lucius cocked his head, then an eyebrow. "You are dismissed, Draco."

She watched Draco swallow.

"Anything you have to say, you can—"

"Perhaps in my absence," Lucius cut in, clasping his hands behind his back, "you've forgotten who is master of this house." His eyes glittered as he watched his words land. "Run along."

Hermione's mouth went dry as she watched Draco clench and unclench his fists, then finally turn to move slowly through the doorway. He kept his eyes ahead of him, a muscle twitching in his jaw. She listened to his footsteps disappear down the corridor.

Lucius watched her with a twist to his lips — like a hawk staring down a field mouse.

"My wife tells me that you have a partially-functioning reproductive system," he said, as if discussing the weather over tea. "I suppose congratulations are in order."

Hermione felt her cheeks blush crimson as she tried to think of a response.

"And might I ask, Miss Granger," he said, hands still behind his back as he strolled towards her, "whether it was your intention to carry the Malfoy heir by concealing this? Did you believe a pregnancy would bring you additional protection?"

Her eyes popped, and her breath choked in her throat.

"N-no! No, not at all!" She gaped at him, trying to form coherent words. "It was made perfectly clear from the beginning that I had no cause for concern in... in that area. There was no need to mention it!"

"Hmm," he drawled. "And yet, my poor chaise begs to differ."

"No, we're not— This wasn't—" Hermione squeezed her face in her hands. "This hasn't— before."

"Before?"

"No! This was the first!" Lucius's eyebrow raised even further, and Hermione groaned, shaking her head. "This hasn't ever! I swear it. It just — no."