XII. Camp Half-Blood Welcomes Us Home

~ ☼ ~

~ ☼ ~

It took approximately 9 hours to get back to Camp.

9 hours of no bathroom breaks, stops to stretch, or food (other than the leftovers from breakfast, which were gone by the time we got out of North Carolina and into Virginia). Staying in the car the whole time was the only way we knew how to stay safe - or as safe as we could be.

I kind of wanted to sleep, but I wasn't tired enough, and my stomach ache that appeared at some point didn't exactly soothe me to relaxation.

So, I just talked to Alec and Riley instead, and learned more about what had happened last summer with that Percy Jackson guy. The two of them had theories about where Percy was now, but they didn't know for sure. All they knew was that camp was in danger because some special pine tree was dying, and Percy was probably the only demigod with the powers to find a way to save it.

After that whole story was over, I realized I'd had enough of talking about gods and whatnot for the day. So we talked about music, and travel, and how I never got out of the house.

As I watched the east coast roll by outside my window, I thought, Maybe I'll start getting out of the house more. It's nice to see things other than my TV and computer and phone screen. It's nice to have friends aside from Fall Out Boy.

When we finally got to Camp Half-Blood, it was nearing dinner time. We didn't know what to do with the car, so we just left it and started walking up the hill... when I turned around again to see it one last time, it was gone.

Alec and Riley told me this hill, the one I'd found myself on all those days ago, was called Half-Blood Hill (obviously who ever came up with that name was a real creative genius!) and served as the only entrance to camp. Once we passed under the white sign bearing torches and welcome, I could see everything. There were the cabins, and the woods where we played Capture the Flag, plus other things I hadn't seen yet, like an archery range and what looked like some sort of arts pavilion.

To the left was that big blue house attached to the infirmary, the one with the porch railings I'd vaulted in hopes of escaping all those days ago. Out on the house's deck, two old men sat playing a card game - Mr. D, whom I recognized, and a guy in a wheel chair, whom I did not.

I turned back to my siblings. Riley looked calm and relieved, happy to be back home. But Alec looked straight-up euphoric.

"Finally," Riley said peacefully, "Our quest is over."

Next to her, my brother ran a hand through his hair and laughed with joy. I could see the anxiety he'd so obviously had before start to fade away. "Finally," he echoed. "I can get a shower."

This time, I was the one who chuckled.

———