Epilogue

Klaus storms back into the Compound with Hope close behind as he yells, "Davina!"

Davina, rolling her eyes at the 1000 year old's dramatics, answers, "Yes, Klaus?" She can't hide her weak voice from not only the spells taking a toll on her but also the loss of the young teenager doing a number on the witch's conscience. 

"I need you to locate where the Hollow is, something went wrong with the spell and it could be anywhere," Klaus barks his orders from the courtyard below the witch leaning against the balcony railing. 

"You're wasting your time, Klaus," Davina replies, trying to find a way to break the news to them, especially with Hope in the room. The older witch makes her descent to the first floor. 

"What do you mean I'm 'wasting my time'?!" Klaus barks, growing more agitated by the second, "We need to find—"

Davina cuts him off, yelling, "Klaus, it's not worth it, because the hollow is gone!" These words catch the attention of everyone in the house, causing Kol, Rebekah, Marcel, Freya, and Elijah to all join them in the courtyard.

"What?" Klaus asks, completely lost for words.

"What do you mean gone? Doesn't someone have to die with it in them?" Elijah asks, eyebrows creased together on his forehead in confusion. 

"Yes...and someone did," Davina replies, stuttering slightly, knowing that she's growing closer to giving Hope the heartbreaking news.

"Who?" Marcel asks, taking a slightly less threatening tone than any of the Mikaelsons.

"You may want to take a seat for this," Davina says, as most of them do except Klaus. As everyone's eyes are on her, she says barely above a whisper, "Alex died." Of course, with everyone in the room having supernatural hearing, they hear Davina crystal clear.

Hope's face falls, as she can only get out a breathless, "What?" The tears already building up in her eyes.

Klaus turns to rage, "You helped kill Hayley's niece!" Klaus shifts from his position against the far vine-covered wall of the courtyard. 

Just as he's about to run at Davina, Kol steps in front of him to say threateningly, "You take one more step, mate."

Klaus lets out a frustrated breath as tensions continue to rise in the Compound. "What did you do?" Freya asks, sounding as if she too is about to snap.

"If everyone calms down, I can tell you the plan Alex came up with to solve all of your problems," Davina says. After summarizing the past week and a half to the group, the tension seems to settle a little. Everyone realizing what Alex gave up for them, the courtyard fell silent. Davina leaving out the last spell she performed, not knowing if it had worked yet.

Hope quickly excuses herself before rushing upstairs to her room. As she opens the door, she spots a piece of paper folded in half sitting on her bed with her name written on it. Instantly recognizing the paper torn from Alex's journal, Hope grasps the letter in her hand. She hesitates for a moment, taking a deep breath, before opening the written words.

Dear Hope,

I remember the first time I saw you when I was moving into the Salvatore Boarding School. I remember your less than thrilled reaction to receiving a roommate, but isn't that how all of the best friendships start—with one hating the other? I'm sorry this couldn't end any other way, but I couldn't stand you losing your father right after getting him back. And if the spell worked correctly, you should be expecting someone very soon that I know you and I have missed dearly.

Hope there's one thing I ask of you...please don't blame yourself. I'll allow you to mourn, but don't feel bad that I'm no longer with you. I'm in a happier place, and can finally get to know my parents outside of just my dreams.

I just ask for you to remember me, so that after your very long and healthy life, you can join me one day because I'll be waiting. And remember I'll always be with you, by your side—even if you can't see me. Just know I'm there.

I hope to see you—in the most polite way possible—in the very very distant future.

Love you always,

Alex

By the end of reading the letter, Hope's cheeks are tear-stained and eyes red and puffy. But something bothers her, as she rereads the line 'you should be expecting someone very soon that I know you and I have missed dearly'. Almost as if the universe answered her, she hears an all too familiar voice ask, "Hope?!"

Hope's eyes widen, as she sprints out to the balcony that outlooks the courtyard. She's instantly met with a sight she thought she would never again see alive: her mother. "Mom?" Hope whispers in complete shock.

In an instant, Hayley is mere inches from her daughter before pulling her into a hug they both thought would never end. Hope finally breaking down, says between sobs, "M-mom, Alex s-she did this."

"I know," Hayley whispers sadness also present in her voice as she rubs comforting circles on Hope's back.

Little did the two supernaturals know, but just beyond the age-old magical shield that separated the dead from the living, was Alex watching the reunion with tears in her eyes. The teenager was beyond happy that both she and Hope could finally be with their parents, even if that meant being apart for a little while. 

Hi, sorry this book took forever to complete. I have no excuses except for the fact it's my first ever book and I think I didn't ever want it to end. If you made it through this final chapter, I just want to say thank you for reading, voting, and commenting. I hope you've enjoyed reading about Alex as much as I've enjoyed writing about her! 

Thanks, 

Care❤️