Six

Jason's P.O.V.

Jason had never had three days go by so quickly. They both had carried through their schedules. He hasn't had a moment to talk to her again, he's seen her around the palace here and there but never had an actual face-to-face conversation since Monday. The most interaction they had the past three days was him having to sign a paper that agrees to have white snow bells in the flower arrangements. Jason was thinking of taking more of a purple wisteria route but he already had the victory of getting the inside traditional wedding, so he'll stop challenging her for now.

The logical part of Jason's brain says that she's probably busy and dealing with a lot of work, but the other part tells him that she wholeheartedly hates him. Now Jason can't seem to figure out why she would be angry with him, he removed the rule. Jason also took in the factor that she could just be throwing a hissy fit over not getting an outdoor wedding.

She seemed fine at the wedding planning, seemed normal. She didn't look visibly angry with him. Something changed after that though, she's been actively avoiding him. Jason didn't dwell on it for too much, he focused back on his paperwork. It was almost like she never even came in the first place. She was recently told that she can't take dinner in her room, it's a precaution but even then, Jason still hasn't seen her. Which just leads him to believe that she's been skipping meals.

He doesn't see her often, she's mostly in her room or spotted wandering the gardens with her handmaidens. Sometimes Jason will sneak a peek of her when he's walking the halls, through the stained glass he can sometimes see her either sitting on a sunny bench with her eyes closed or tending the garden by pulling out weeds with the help of her handmaidens. But sometimes he can see her there alone. He finds it a bit sad that she spends more time with plants than actual people but he mostly minds his business.

The days are passing, each one faster than the other. He is officially twenty-seven days away from his wedding and coronation. For a woman with who he's only had less than ten conversations, she definitely made an impression. Not just on him, but for the entire palace and staff. Jason still has to listen to his father drone on during dinner saying how she's an "ungrateful petty brat to be denying food". In moments like those, Jason typically zones off thinking about how soon he's getting married or mentally going through a list of things he must get done.

Today was different though. He made sure to get some work done in advance so that he would be able to have more free time. Jason doesn't remember the last time he had a free day. They're rare to come upon so he has to use this to his advantage. The real question was what should Jason do with his free day? A big part of Jason consists of work upon work. He could take the day to wander the halls? Or perhaps take a stroll through the gardens? Maybe even stop by the stables and go horseback riding? Today is full of possibilities.

The day started moderately normal except this time Jason got to sleep in. He hadn't had the chance to oversleep in a long time. He didn't realize how much he missed it. Maybe the psychology freak was right, it was probably a little obvious to tell that he was sleep-deprived. He continued the day with a smile on his face. Not just because he got such an excellent sleep but that out in the gardens the roses were going to be blooming very soon. The bushes were filled with buds, some sprouting, others completely shut and green. In the center though was one big fully blossomed rose.

The aroma of sweet flowers filled his sinuses as rays of the warm sun beamed down on his cheek. Jason could see why she likes it here. It's so beautiful and peaceful in the garden. He could stand there forever. Jason just wanted to shut his eyes and sit there. He was almost about to make his way to the bench when he could feel a light tap on his shoulder.

Over his shoulder stood the one and only Isobelle. "It's nice to be able to see you out of that hermit hole you call a study, your highness."

Jason scoffed. "You've known me longer than anyone else, Isobelle. Please call me by my first name, you don't have to act regal."

"Okay then, what are you doing out in the sun? Don't you have a million stacks of paperwork to fill out?"

"Nope." Jason bent down to the crimson rose and plucked it off the bush, admiring its beauty in his hand before handing it to Isobelle. "I have today free."

"That explains why you're all smiley and no longer Mr. stonecold."

"Walk with me."

Reluctantly she walked through the garden with him. "Jason, what are you doing?"

"Nothing." Jason took a nice deep breath through the nose. Everything feels better when he has no work, even breathing.

"Then why are you acting all strange?"

"I'm not. Can I not just be happy?"

"No, it's weird. I don't like it."

Jason turned his head towards Isobelle. "You don't like it when I'm happy?"

"If you're so happy then why don't you go share that energy with your wife."

"Not my wife-"

"Twenty-seven days."

Jason wanted to roll his eyes but he knew if he did that Isobelle would smack him for sassing her. Her strikes didn't hurt, well they did but as much as they could for a middle-aged woman. They would always catch him off guard even though he was already expecting them. "I'm going to have to face her today, we have portraits today at four. Could you drop it already?"

"No, I will not." Isobelle was relentless on this, she was the pushiest person you'd ever meet. "You're not putting in enough of an effort."

"For the hundredth time, she's not going to be my real wife."

"You fool. You're going to be married of course she's going to be your real wife. And don't think you can just go messing around with other women once you're married! I've said it once and I'll say it again, mistresses-"

"Are for the weak and spineless pricks who think they can get whatever they want." Jason finished her sentence. He's heard it thousands of times before, it's engraved in his head. "I get it, you think men with mistresses are whores."

"I wasn't going to say it that way but . . ."

"This is a marriage of convenience, you need to remember that. I've come to terms with it so why can't you?"

"I refuse to believe that you truly think that." She shook her head. "Because if you do then you're not the man I raised."

Isobelle frowned and for once Jason could see the disappointment in her face. She walked away, leaving Jason alone in the beautiful garden.

Isobelle was being dramatic, he'll apologize later and everything will go back to normal. Jason still can't seem to grasp why she's more invested in his love life than him.

Jason has known Isobelle since he was young but she mothers him too much. He already has a mother, a wonderful one at that but even Isobelle hasn't gotten along with her well. Jason can see it in her eyes, when Jason's mother enters a room her face goes cold, sometimes he can even catch a glance of her mouthing words to herself when she walks away from her mother.

Isobelle needs to stop bothering him on this. She's making this a bigger deal than it actually is. Can't a man just have his arranged marriage in peace? 

(A/N: I have returned. I sadly and not popping out chapters like they're candy but I have been a tad busy with school. But do not fret! I still shall be posting chapters regularly. I'm just a little bit busier with being in spirit line and maintaining straight A's. I love you lovelies and I shall see you next chapter.)