Chapter Sixteen

"He bought me ice cream

"He bought me ice cream."

Banhi squealed into her palm from where she sat perched on a chair, listening to Junak recount the day's events. "Tell me everything."

"No, that's it. He bought me ice cream and now I'm wondering if it might mean something?" Junak sat on the bed, in Banhi and Niribili's room, playing with the pillow near him. "But it could just be a bro-thing, right? Do cishet men buy ice cream for each other? Or maybe he thinks of me as a younger brother? People definitely buy ice cream for their younger brothers, right?"

Banhi kept grinning, which was very unhelpful, so Junak carried on. "I mean, Puhor never bought me ice cream but he's not much of an ideal brother. Oh, that reminds me! I need to block him from my Insta. He told Ma I'm in - ow, what?"

Banhi had thrown a shawl at his face. "Don't go off track. Tell me about the date. I helped arrange it, after all." She wriggled her brows.

Junak's face was hot and that made him feel stupid. There was no possible way that was a date.

Right?

Like, Junak knew Dikhou was just trying to cheer him up after that disaster of a conversation with his mother. That was it.

Yeah.

"Tell me everything," Banhi cried. "What did he say when he gave you the ice cream?"

"I was at the store getting the cake..."

Banhi nodded enthusiastically.

"He said I'll be right back." In that sexy voice of his. "And then I met him on the way to the car. I kept the cake in the backseat and got behind the wheel. That's when he handed me a Corneto and said - here you go."

Banhi squealed, then rose to her feet and tackled Junak into a hug. "If he didn't say no homo tho then it was definitely a date!"

Junak laughed, feeling oddly giddy. He didn't remember the last time he had felt this way. "And we played a game on the way."

Banhi sat on the bed next to him, resting her chin on his shoulder. "What game?"

"This or that."

"Dude, that's definitely a date game!"

Junak winced as Banhi practically screamed in his ear. "It is not!"

"It is!"

"What are you two giggling about?" Niribili asked, walking into the room. She was frowning a little but held a wide smile on her lips as she eyed her two friends.

"You know-" Banhi was cut off with Junak placing his hand over her mouth and saying, "Nothing! I just had ice cream so I'm happy and a little high on sugar."

Niribili shook her head fondly. "Come on, everyone's outside." She walked towards the table where Banhi's guitar was propped up against the wall. "Babe, can I take your guitar? The kids want entertainment."