Chapter 8

I stepped and kicked, practicing some of the steps with Mystaree after rehearsal a few days later. I clapped when she nailed a combo, striking a pose dramatically. I chuckled, picking up my water bottle and taking a swig. 

"Do you know when they're releasing the results of the understudy auditions?" my friend asked me. 

I shook my head. "No idea. Which only makes it all the more nerve racking. I wish they'd hurry up and tell us."

"Hey, it'll be okay. You were awesome, and if they don't give you the part, then they obviously can't see talent if it punched them in the face."

I laughed. "Thanks, Myst. I appreciate that."

"Anytime, (Y/nickname)."

Right as I was about to ask her how her sister was doing, one of the casting directors walked up to Mystaree and me. 

"Excuse me, (Y/N)?"

I turned around, a bit surprised. "Oh, hi! What can I help do for you?"

"I wanted to congratulate you; you got the part of understudy for Lydia!" she told me, smiling.

I nearly stopped breathing. 

I had done it? I had actually been better than other people at something? I had succeeded? 

My mind was whirring a million miles a minute when Mystaree elbowed me in the side. I snapped back to attention, grinning at the casting director. 

"Thank you so much! I'll do my best!"

She nodded in approval before briskly walking off, heading to God only knows where. 

I stood in shock, grinning like an idiot. Mystaree was smiling excitedly beside me. 

"Dude! That's amazing! I knew you'd get it!" she whooped, punching me in the shoulder lightly. 

I laughed. "Thanks, man. I cannot believe I actually got the part!" 

We chattered on for a while, all in a buzz about the recent news when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned, trying to calm myself when I saw that it was Alex standing behind me. 

"Oh, hey!"

"Hey, I just wanted to congratulate you on getting the understudy part!" he said, smiling at me. 

I ignored my increased heart rate and just focused on steadying my breathing and the conversation at hand. 

"Thank you so much! I cannot believe I actually got the part," I gushed, grinning from ear to ear. 

"Aw, I knew you could do it. Besides, I'm looking forward to working with you sometime."

I fought for composure as I ignored Mystaree gave me a look out of my periphery. 

"Yeah! Me too! It'll be super fun!"

Alex nodded. "So, I didn't know if you'd be down to come eat with Sophia and me? I know it's been a little while since I've asked, so I wanted to make sure you still wanted to go."

I nodded. "Of course! It sounds super fun!"

He turned to my friend. "You're also welcome to join us, if you want."

She smiled. "As much as I appreciate the offer, I have company coming over tonight, so I'll have to take you up on that some other time," she responded. 

Alex nodded in understanding. "No problem."

"Well, on that note, I gotta go home and start straightening up. You guys have fun!" Mystaree said to us in parting, grabbing her bag and leaving. We both waved goodbye to her.