Chapter 3

The Ducks are playing Trinidad and Tobago. I watch the game on the television. It's been three weeks since the whole "Dean making me chip my ankle and sprain my wrist" thing. I get my wrist splint off in a week, which means I get to use crutches in a week. Hey, anything is better than the wheelchair. At school, I get made fun of and feel pathetic, sometimes I wish Fulton were here. When I do that I remind myself that I asked him to go and then I feel better. We are texting 24/7, we call/face time everyday. I keep reminding myself that I get to go see him in a week. "Sweetie, should we get pizza or have grilled cheese for dinner tonight?" Mom asks. Fulton used to always make grilled cheese, and it was the best I've ever had so I immediately respond "Pizza." Mom agrees and orders it. In ten minutes mom leaves and picks up dinner, while she's out I feed the dogs and grab some paper plates. I go to the table and wait for mom to get home, in a few minutes I hear someone knock on the door. I go over and open it, I see Casey Conway at the door asking if she can come in. I let her in and tell her that my mom went to go get dinner. I ask her if she wants to stay for dinner and she decides to. Fulton starts texting me, I realize that they must've finished by now. Fulton tells me all the details and he tells me the final score and he thinks that it would have been a shutout if I had been playing. I tell him he's crazy as mom walks in. She sees Casey and immediately starts a conversation. I tune them out and eat my pizza, I tune back in when they mention Charlie and Fulton. "AJ, do you remember when you met Charlie?" Casey asks. I reply "My dad died when I was young, and he had taught me to skate before he died. He taught Fulton too. After my dad died I didn't skate for a month, but I started skating each month after my dad died. Once, when I was skating at the pond Charlie was there too. I started to leave but he stopped me and he offered an exchange, I would teach him to figure skate and he would teach me to play hockey. I politely declined and went home." I zone out again and experience a flashback.
*Flashback*
That year, even thinking about hockey almost made me cry. It was my dad's favorite sport. I would go back and skate every month until the ice thawed, Charlie was there every time. Me and Charlie slowly became friends. I met the D-5 team and for Fulton and I's birthday they got me a hockey stick so I could play with them. I ran up to my room and cried, clutching the stick. I could hear yelling downstairs and I knew Fulton had something to do with it. I heard a knock on the door and I opened it. It was my mom, I let her in. We talked and I knew what I was gonna do. I composed myself and went downstairs to talk to the team. They apologized like a million times and I said I wasn't going to play hockey with them. They said it was okay and that the offer always stood. I started playing softball in the summer and Fulton played football, he got really good. When the ice froze over I went skating once a month and started to go at random intervals with Charlie. We would play 1v1 all the time. Me and Charlie continued to grow closer as we met up at the pond again and again.

************************************************************************************************

I'm so excited! I get my wrist splint off today and I fly out to California tomorrow just in time for the USA vs Italy game. I don't get to play yet, but in two weeks I get to! Mom grabs the crutches Adam gave me earlier this year from the garage and puts them in the trunk. She helps me in and puts the wheelchair in the trunk with the crutches. We drive to the hospital. When we get there the doctor takes my splint off, X-rays my wrist, and tells me that I should be good to go as long as I'm careful with it for a few days. The doctor takes the wheelchair and hands me the crutches. "Thank you Dr. North." Mom says. We leave and I go home to pack. On the way home I'm texting Fulton and he says that he'll meet me at the baggage claim at 4:45 pm. My flight gets in at five but Fulton is known for being late. When I get home I go up to my room and start packing. Mom comes in and helps me. I pack most of my favorite band t-shirts, five pairs of jeans, two hoodies, a green sweatshirt that my mom took some purple, yellow, and red thread and sewed the Ducks logo onto, three pairs of leggings, a black long sleeve, a few different colored flannels, some undergarments (socks, tank tops, etc., etc.), five different pairs of shoelaces, my white classic converse, and some pajama pants. In my carry-on I pack my toiletries, my hair brush, a few books, a notebook, my sketchbook, three mechanical pencils, my headphones, my tablet, and portable charger. I also pack my roller skates, my pads, my helmet, my wallet, and some leather gloves. You know, the works. I have dinner with mom, feed the dogs, text with Fulton, do my bedtime routine, and fall asleep listening to some classical music.