The Talking Goldfish

Leave a comment and tell me what you think whether its good or bad :)

I woke up in that hospital bed, my mum asleep in the chair across from me. I had a good feeling. Today was the day all my problems were solved. I wanted more than anything to get up and check myself in the mirror. I could see it now: I'd look almost the exact same - tanned skin, fair hair, brown eyes - but that one thing that made me cry myself to sleep each night, that one thing that made me wish I wasn't alive, would be gone. Well, not gone, but hidden by my hair at least. I couldn't, though, because of the plaster that made itself all around my head like an elastic, going from my jaw to the crown of my head. That was okay, though. Good things deserved to be waited for. It started on the first day of first year. I walked into my classroom of that new school, eager to make friends. I was always good at making friends, it was like my talent. But I guess she just had something against me; that girl with red greasy hair and a long sallow face who reminded me of a goldfish. The resemblence was uncanny. I don't know what I ever did wrong. I was only ever nice to her. Mum said she was just jealous, but jealous girls don't do what she did. "Wow," she said the first time she saw me. "Nice ears," she smirked. I was astounded. I always knew my ears were big, but they'd never caused a problem. They never caused someone to point and laugh. They never caused a whole classroom of girls to join in. Not until that wretched first day of first year. It was all downhill from there. I only had my one friend, Amber, to keep me going. At lunch time we sat together and pretended we couldn't hear them talk about us. We pretended we didn't want to have fun like the other girls did. We tried to make our own fun and act like we didn't care. I couldn't believe I had a friend who actually sat through all that. She didn't need to. She could have been the coolest girl in the class if she wanted to be. All she had to do was ditch me. She joined the other girls a couple of months later. I was completely alone. When the other girls pointed, Amber pointed, when they sniggered, Amber sniggered, when they hit me, Amber even hit me too. That was it. That was the day I decided I didn't want to be alive. I tried to hold myself together at school, but I was always so close to coming undone. I'd bite my toongue, choke back the sobs and swallowed my dignity. I pretended I was okay with it all andd that there was nothing wrong. When I got home though, I sobbed and sobbed and I couldn't stop. The worst day came soon after. It had all hit rock bottom. I had gotten into the habit of looming in the school bathroom after school for almost half an hour each day, just to make sure every girl in my year was gone, so they wouldn't see me getting into the car, so they wouldn't knock me infront of my mum. I came out of school, walking hurriedly, head down, as I always did. I looked up and stopped in my tracks. Sitting on the school wall was every single girl in my class. Amber was sitting next to Goldfish. "There she is," I heard her say when she saw me. Goldfish looked around and when she caught me standing still in shhock and horror, feeling like I was exposed in a scorching spotlight, an evil grin grew across her face, a dangerous glint in her eye. "Big Ears!" she greeted me as she jumped off the wall. "We thought you'd never show!" The other girls hopped off the wall aswell, laughing. I tried to walk on. All I had to do was get out of the gate and I'd be safe. But the girls were all cornering me now and pushing me around as if I was a hot potato. "Stop, stop!" I said over and over again, trying to keep the panic out of my voice, but I let myself as I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "Aw, what's the matter, Big Ears?" one of the girls said in a fake lisp, pouting at me. "You know, we could really help you out with the whole big ears thing," Amber said as Goldfish put a stop to the pushing and jammed me up against the wall. "Please, let me go," I whisperd in a sob as Goldfish held me up, my feet a couple of inches above ground. "No, I think we should get rid of those big ears," Goldfish sneered as all the other girls cackled and jeered. I saw a tiny, sharp object emerging from Goldfish's pocket and I immediately knew what it was as it shined and twinkled in the light. "Stop! Stop! Let me go!" I shrieked, kicking and struggling but all the girls were holding me back now and a sweaty hand was clasped around my mouth to muffle the screams. "Let's cut those things off," Goldfish said, smiling at me, holding up the knife. I jammed my eyes shut, not knowing what to do. All those nights I came home wishing to die, and now I really believed my wish was coming true. My lips quivered with fear and my cheeks were saturated from tears. This was how I was going to be remembered. "Stop, someone's coming!" A girl screamed and suddenly I was dropped to the ground and I was alone. Again.        "Rosie!" I heard my mum cry, but I was too scared to open my eyes again. I rolled up into a ball as I heard Mum's footsteps running towards me. That's how I ended up here. I demanded my mother let me get surgery. I had the doctors push back my ears, and now I'm here, lying in the hospital bed, wondering what my ears now look like, all because of that stupid talking goldfish.

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs and structure ... my computer was acting up :/