0 | prologue

CHAPTER ZERO:
welcome a new environment
( pre-season O1, episode O1 )

CHAPTER ZERO:welcome a new environment( pre-season O1, episode O1 )

━━━━━━♡━━━━━━

"MOM, I DON'T THINK THAT'S A GOOD IDEA," Freya tries to tell her mother, whose arms were already wrapped around the heavy box that was stacked away in the trunk of their pick-up truck.

     She has been trying to convince the older woman that they should wait for the Donovan family as they had been the ones to offer them an opportunity to stay at a place such as Lima Heights, Ohio, where a couple of neighbours are actually decent enough to offer friendly waves at them. A fresh start from all the drunkards at their village back in Ireland.

     For context, Freya wasn't born in Ireland, much like her acting mother is. She was actually adopted from South Korea, where she has been left in the care of an orphanage the moment she was born due to her mother, unfortunately, passing away mere seconds after she has been born. And, get this, as if things couldn't get worse, her father committed suicide not long after because-as it says in his suicide note, after all——"he couldn't stand living on without his wife, his one true love".

     So the damn fool jumped off the roof of the hospital, landing himself a death that compares to gum, sticking onto the pavement and, therefore, dead. Gods, he didn't even give her a name! Which was pure bull, in Freya's opinion. Roula Walsh, her adoptive mother, took it upon herself to be the caretaker of the child the moment she was taken into the orphanage, auburn eyes captivating the woman who had sworn to never affiliate with a child in servitude to the Lord.

     (To be honest, she wasn't even supposed to exclusively take care of children that time, she was merely a nun, after all. But there was something about Freya, about her little smiles and the way she got a hold of her finger, and how right it felt to hold the babe in her arms, it just motivated her into the notion that yes, indeed, she should adopt Freya and become her mother figure. No child deserved to be alone without much guidance in their life, especially not a beautiful soul like her daughter's.)

     They remained in Korea for a few years, getting the young girl accustomed to her native culture, before they had to leave for Ireland, right when Freya turned 6. It was nice living in Ireland, that was where she befriended Judie, after all. They bonded over the fact that they were both adopted, and that they were practically-in more ways than one-the perfect pair. No matter how contrasting their personalities nor interests were, it just felt. . . right.

     Not to get poetic and sappy but, you know what she means.

     Nonetheless, Judie was one of the only people who didn't ridicule her for her huge affinity for stars, space, and all that jazz, back when adolescents their age thought that Barbies and toy trucks were the real deal and that being interested in anything other than overly girlish or overly boyish things made her an outcast, a misfit.