six

Ѱ

He gets the call during their lunch break when he's sitting at a long table with a few clumps of athletes. Every once and a while, Kei will ask Jay to assist him with private practice when one or two players reserve time to work individually with the head coach. In Kei's words, "one coach is better than two."

His phone vibrates, thankfully— since Jay can't remember the last time his ringer has been on, and he excuses himself. Heeseung's name glows from the screen, a picture of him from when they were seventeen; Heeseung had made him promise not to change it because he'd get all old and wrinkly, and "gems like this can't be forgotten."

"'Sup," Jay greets and hears some background noise from the other end before Heeseung goes: "Hey, Jay! I just caught a break! Turns out the presentation I'd worked on all of last week isn't actually today but tomorrow, and we got dismissed early, so I can get lunch if you're not busy? I still feel bad about the other day."

"Oh," Jay says, intelligently. He hadn't thought there'd be any sort of gesture done for forgiveness since the dinner was pretty inconsequential anyway. It's nice of Heeseung, nonetheless, to offer up his free time. Unfortunately, Jay is the one who has to say no this time. "I can't right now. Our lunch hour is just ending, and I'm being paid extra because some of the guys are doing private practice."

He feels guilty as he says this because he's not trying to give Heeseung a taste of his own medicine. He really would try to make lunch if he could. "Even if I did have the time, the drive would probably take too much time anyway. I'll be home after nine, so I'll probably see you before I turn in."

"Oh, okay." Heeseung sounds disappointed like he didn't think Jay would turn him down, and Jay looks at his watch instead of dwelling on it. "We should go some other time though. There's this great bakery I found when some classmates I made friends with invited me to a study group."

Jay doesn't like how some jealousy flares up at this. He's never been jealous of Heeseung before, so he doesn't know why it's happening now that he's an adult. Jealousy is ugly and possessive, and he's never wanted any part of it.

He doesn't realize he hasn't replied until Heeseung clears his throat on the other end. "I really think you'll like it," he says, quietly.

"I'm sure I will," Jay responds because Heeseung's voice is warm, and he realizes that his best friend must've thought of him and wanted to share his discovery. When someone you care about is excited about something, the last thing you should do is shoot them down. Knowing that Heeseung wants to go there with him makes whatever jealousy there was go away. "It'll be cool."

"Definitely," Heeseung says with a smile in his voice. Jay overhears Kei telling the athletes to wrap it up, and he rubs his neck.

"I gotta go. See you at home?"

"See you at home," Heeseung replies and waits for a beat before hanging up.

The bus ride home feels longer than usual, and Jay is starving by the time he unlocks the door with his keys. When he's only halfway through doing so, the door's lock seems to slide open on its own, and the door is splayed wide open to reveal Heeseung who stands there dressed in a mauve jacket with black ripped jeans and adidas.

"I know you're hungry," Heeseung says before Jay can even open his mouth. "And I promise we can eat soon, my treat. But I've been wanting to show you this place since I found it four days ago so can we please go there before we eat?"

"Yes," is all Jay says before there's a hand on his elbow and he's being steered down the staircase, the elevators being forgotten entirely.

Heeseung drives, his knee thumping under the steering wheel as he uses his turn signal or stops at red lights. Jay resists the urge to cover it with his palm to make it still, only giving Heeseung a side-eye when the older male glances over, a sheepish grin on his face.

When they reach, Heeseung is rushing towards a shop with yellow lights and dark wood, a bright red neon light sign on the front saying: 'In Pie We Crust.'

Jay curses, getting way too hyped up for what looks to be a bakery that specializes in pies as he locks the car with the keys Heeseung had forgotten in the cupholder. He can see his best friend inside the window, chatting animatedly with a woman behind the payment counter.

"Please tell me you don't always leave your keys in your car," Jay says as the door to the shop closes behind him with a ding. Heeseung turns to him with wide eyes and Jay thinks he forgets to breathe, momentarily.

"Ah, sorry~ I've only done it twice so far, but it's never locked before I remembered, so I just go with it and hope it doesn't happen again." Heeseung turns to the cashier lady, and they share a laugh. "Third times a charm, amirite?

Jay grunts and trudges over to where they stand. In front is a clear pastry case with an array of pies lined up neatly. They each have small price tags beside them, written in what looks to be typewriter font.

"Aren't they stunning," Heeseung says as he admires the pie alongside Jay. "I would buy everything in this shop if I could. We'll have to do with just one though. What've you got in mind? French apple crumble? Strawberry chiffon? Rhubarb custard?"

Jay sighs, hating to be that guy, but one of them has to be realistic.

"Heeseung," he says, touching his best friend's shoulder softly. "These are a bit expensive. I don't think our budget could take it right now. Can we buy them some other time?"

Jay hates how Heeseung's shoulders drop and the smile falls off his face, crumbling just like the crust of a lemon meringue he'd eaten one time. Just as quickly, though, Heeseung waves to the cashier amiably and thanks her, saying they would be back in no time.

"We will, won't we?" Heeseung asks Jay in confirmation, hope in his eyes as Jay slides into the driver's seat and pocketing the keys so they aren't forgotten in the car.

"Yea." Jay turns on the ignition and merging onto the main road. "We will."

Ѱ