Chapter Two ~ Taken

I woke up by the chirps of the early birds. My eyes stared at the ceiling and I turned to my side. It was still dark out but it was time to get up. Today I have to work for half the day and then I could try out my new dress and head into town.

I always loved going into town, not to shop because I appreciate what I have but just to relax. Away from the farmlands, I see people making a living without staying under the sun all day. Though I know in every job there's a struggle.

After I was washed up and dressed, I walked out of my room, shutting the door behind me. My room was the only one down the hallway while the three other bedrooms were met with the living quarters.

For farmers, we had a big enough house for the six of us. That was what I found most grateful for.

Mother was in the kitchen, stirring hot porridge. She and I were always the ones who woke up earlier than the others.

"Good morning, Mother," I said, as I took a seat at the table.

"Good morning, dear. Did you have a good night rest?"

"Yes, I did. I feel well rested. How about you?"

"Yes, especially after a long day yesterday," she replied, "I'm glad you loved your gift."

"Yes I loved it! Can I really wear it tonight?" I asked. Excitement soaring through me.

"Only if you don't stain your skirt."

"Thank you, Mother," I said, happy and eager for this day to end. At that moment, Father walked out of his room. He wore his ripped pants and a beige shirt that once saw white.

"Good morning ladies," he said. He walked over to Mother and gave her a kiss. I looked away for my sake.

I tried to ignore public display of affections. It made me uncomfortable and blush. My thoughts immediately went to Will. I found myself blushing and I cursed at myself. Why was I blushing? My mother's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Good morning, darling," Mother said, and it sounded like she was smiling.

I turned back to see Father walking over. He gave me a kiss on the forehead. He took a seat in front of me.

"Good morning, Father," I said as I folded my arms and rested them on the table.

"How is my beautiful daughter?" He asked. Beautiful? I think not, Father. I'm the type of girl that doesn't like compliments based off of my appearance. It made me blush. Basically anything affectionate or something of the kind makes me blush and I hated that. I usually like compliments about my hard work and effort. Now that makes me feel great inside.

"She is very well. Ready to work another day," I answered.

Father laughed. "That's the spirit!"

I smiled.

"Calm down you two, breakfast is served," Mother said as she set down two hot bowls of porridge. "Eat up."

Hungry as I was, I dove in. It would be noon till I could eat again. I finished my porridge in the matter of a few minutes. My father finished not long after me. I wiped my face with my sleeve and sat back.

"Slow down next time Ezra, you have a big day ahead of yourself remember that."

"Sorry," I said. I stood up and picked up my perfectly clean bowl and spoon. I put them on the counter next to our sink.

"It really is good, darling," Father said.

"Yes, my recipe is special!"

"Is that porridge I smell?" I turned to the sound of my grandmother's voice.