~ Prologue ~

____________________________

Tick

Tick

Tick

I lightly tapped my pencil on my desk, staring at my paper as my eyes failed to read what was there. I was mentally exhausted from the amount of work I was doing, it made me so tired that there was a certain point that one day I nearly passed out. Thankfully though, that was around when the pandemic was plaguing everyone from the workforce to everyday activities. I scanned the paper again, hopelessly trying to get this over with, and yet again I failed to comprehend what was on my paper.

I sighed, a break would do me some good. I sat up a little, pushing my chair out and standing up. I left my office, the door lightly rubbed against the carpeting. I pulled my door shut again, walking towards the break room. "A quick break will do me no harm.." I muttered to myself as my heels clicked against the porcelain tiles. I wasn't sure exactly how long I had been at work, as I chose to stay overtime to finish things up, but I knew it had been far too long. Again, I pushed the door open with little effort, taking a deep breath as the lounge's somewhat sweet air hit me. Everything was relatively silent, all except for the smooth hums of the air conditioner and fridge. I jumped slightly as a louder noise came from the television for a moment, but I realized someone left it running on low volume.

If I weren't so busy with work, I'd sit down and watch whatever was running at the moment... Actually, it was probably a 30-minute ad break, so, maybe not. I sighed, shuffling over to the small kitchen area. I pulled a cup out from the cabinet, as well as a new filter. Thankfully, the coffee grains were already on the counter, so I didn't have to worry about searching the other cabinets. I hummed lightly, scanning the countertops for the creamer. A faint smile crossed my face upon finding it and pulling it over. Then, with everything I needed, I made myself some coffee. Along with the silent hums of the fridge, it was accompanied by the brewing of the coffee. This machine was an older model, it hadn't failed yet, so it's what the company stuck with.

I pursed my lips, Watching the machine for a couple of moments before turning to push the coffee grains to their original spot. The coffee would take a little bit of time to make, so perhaps I could sit down on the couch... though, the ads wouldn't provide any source of entertainment, maybe I was just better off w-

"Hey, (y/n)!"

I jumped slightly, a bit of adrenaline pumping through my veins as the woman in front of me just laughed. I scoffed, glaring at her, Marci. "What the hell, Marci?! You have to stop doing that!" I groaned, turning away and pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance. Again, I heard her giggle, "Aww~ c'mon, your reaction was priceless!" She coed. I grumbled with a sigh, watching as Marci reached into the cabinet and grabbed herself a cup. Oh, sure, of course, you can have some of my coffee! I thought bitterly.

Marci was like the opposite of me. She slacked off a lot, and as a result, she was in the office more. Then again, she considered herself a 'friend' of mine since we were neighbors. Believe me when I say, I didn't choose to live by her, she was the one who was new in the office. Leave it to the hard worker to drag a sluggish lump of laziness around. I perked up slightly whenever the coffee stopped brewing, turning back towards the machine and grabbing the pot to pour in my cup. As I lifted the coffee pot, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted up to my nose, filling me with a sense of comfort and anticipation. Carefully, I tilted the pot and watched as the dark liquid poured into my mug, the stream of coffee leaving a small trail of bubbles in its wake.