CHAPTER 3: LOGICAL DOG

DEC 26, 2035

“Good boy, Spock!” Dezzy called as he wheeled the yard-waste bin through the gate. “I think he piled those sticks just to be helpful.”

“Maybe, so.” Ruby agreed. “Maybe he just wanted a clear space to play fetch.”

When the door opened Baba stepped onto the porch.

“There are two men out front, and I don’t think they’re Jehovah’s Witnesses,” the old man reported. A fact echoed when Desmond and Ruby’s PCs chimed that they had a visitor. No one used the front door which was blocked by an elaborate desk and state-of-the-art computer system. The Witnesses were the only ones who weren’t in on that fact. Even UPS used the side door inside the rear-facing garage after years of experience with the setup. After all this time, with a family as well known as the Apalachees, this meant they weren’t locals, or from any government office in the county. That did set Ruby and Desmond on edge. Who could possibly be waiting out front?

“Suzie,” Ruby called once inside. “Show me the front door on my PC, please.”

At once, an image of two large men wearing suits appeared on her wrist. Not a ‘Watchtower’ in sight.

“Morning, Gentlemen.” Ruby spoke through the audio connection. “Can I help you...Are you lost?”

Startled for only a moment, the two men recovered quickly and smiled broadly.

“Yes! Good morning.” The one on the right answered. “We were hoping to speak with you and your brother, Dr. Apalachee. It's in reference to your father, actually.” After a moment the man added, “We’re colleagues of his.”

“Can’t help you.” Ruby replied rudely. “Don’t know him, Desmond isn’t available. Goodbye.”

Before she could close the link the second man spoke up. 

“Please, Doctor. Give us just a few minutes to explain. I promise you’ll be glad you heard us out.”

Ruby looked to Desmond whose eyes were urging her to let them in, his head nodding slowly. Her grandfather shrugged, offering no assistance. Ruby sighed.

“Come in the side door, through the garage,” she responded, and then cut the link before heading back inside to let the strangers in. 

Moments later, they were in the kitchen while Spock growled at their feet. More unusual behavior from the normally pleasant pup.

 When her Uncle Lief had given her the dog, he had said, “He’ll never lie to you or forsake you.” This much had proven to be true. He also said “Never trust anyone he hates, a dog's hate is born out of love for his master.” Looking to her brother she could tell his guard was up as well.

“It’s ok boy.” She told the dog and patted his head. “I know I’m safe with you.”

 As if he understood, the dog gave her a look in the eyes, then ran off to the sofa, taking a spot on the middle seat but kept his attention trained on the visitors.

 “Can I get you a drink? We have...well everything.” Desmond offered as Ruby guided the men to the breakfast table.

 “Yes, thank you. Ginger Ale,” the first answered. “Water,” said the other. Soon Dezzy joined them at the table with the drinks. Baba snored softly on the sofa next to Spock. An old movie about Jesus played on the TV. 

“Your timer has started, and I haven’t heard anything that makes me glad I let you in gentlemen.” She looked from one to the other. “What do you want?”

Her temper was something she had appropriately inherited from her father. Even if she didn’t know it. 

 “Well,” the taller man began. “As I’m sure you’re aware, your father has been working on a  system in the Nolichucky Gorge. Actually, he was contracted to determine the cause and source of magnetic radio interference in that area.”